• Overview
  • 511

Free Help for Stranded Freeway Motorists

Whether it's a flat tire, an empty gas tank, or an overheated radiator, chances are that one day, you'll need help on the freeway. Thanks to the Freeway Service Patrol, help is on the way!

The Metro Freeway Service Patrol (FSP) is a team of tow truck drivers patrolling freeways all over Los Angeles County to provide help to stranded motorists and assist in clearing traffic accidents to keep traffic moving. The Freeway Service Patrol Big Rig Tow Service on I-710, and ExpressLanes dedicated freeways on the I-10 and I-110 in the Los Angeles County. This service is absolutely free of charge.

Metro FSP services include:

  • Changing flat tires
  • Jump-starting dead batteries
  • Refilling radiators and temporarily repairing leaking hoses
  • Providing a gallon of fuel
  • If the FSP cannot get a stranded car running within ten minutes, it will tow the vehicle to a safe location off the freeway.

To call an FSP truck, simply call free 511 and say motorist aid from your mobile phone, or call for help from a freeway callbox.

The FSP tow trucks reduce traffic congestion by efficiently getting disabled cars running again or by quickly removing those cars from the freeway. FSP also greatly reduces the chances of further incidents caused by onlookers and impatient drivers. In addition, FSP helps save fuel and reduce air polluting emissions by reducing stop-and-go traffic.

The ultimate benefit of Metro Freeway Service Patrol is that the safety of the motorist is not compromised while the efficiency of our freeway infrastructure is maximized.

Like our service? Rate our service on Yelp Yelp and leave your comments. Make sure to identify your truck driver’s name and truck number when you leave your review.

This program is funded by Proposition C, which passed in 1990 to fund transportation improvements and help reduce traffic congestion.

Call 511 for free motorist aid.

511 connects you to roadside assistance without needing to call 911 or use a freeway call box.

Call 511 from your cell phone to:

  • Request Metro Freeway Service Patrol tow service
  • Report freeway road hazards
  • Contact your auto club
  • Report freeway damage or needed repair

The 511 service is:

  • Fully-staffed by English and Spanish speaking operators
  • Available to provide translation assistance in over 150 languages and equipped to serve the deaf, hearing and speech impaired
  • Always open – accessible 24 hours a day, seven days a week by cellphone

Remember, 511 does not replace 911. Use 911 if you need medical, fire department or law enforcement response. But for all non-emergency freeway assistance, dial 511.

Share this page on