First check to see if your college is already a part of the U-Pass program for greater savings. If not, apply for the College/Vocational TAP card online to qualify for Reduced Fare.
College/Vocational Fare and Passes
|LIFE 30-Day Pass (low-income)||$30|
|U-Pass (participating schools only)||varies|
Fare payment with TAP includes 2 hrs of unlimited transfers to Metro rail and bus in one direction (no roundtrips) . Add’l 75¢ charge for the Silver Line bus and the Express Bus Lines 442 , 460 , 487 , 489 , 501 , 550 , and 577 . Add’l 50¢ charge for a transfer to non-Metro buses within 2.5 hrs.
- If using cash, please have exact fare when you board the bus. Metro bus operators do not carry change.
- Two children under age 5 may travel free with each fare-paying adult on bus or rail.
- Eating, drinking or smoking is not permitted in Metro stations, buses or trains.
- Warning: Failure to pay the proper fare is a violation of Section 640 Penal Code and may result in a fine up to $250 and 48 hours community service.
- 30-Day Pass : Valid for 30 consecutive days from the first tap. Expires at 3am on the day following expiration. Add’l charges apply to ride: Metro Silver Line, Metro Express Buses.
- 30-Day + Zone 1 Pass : Ride Metro for 30 consecutive days from the first tap. Includes: All Metro Services
How to get a Reduced Fare TAP card
Metro is partnering with a growing number of colleges to offer reduced fare to a broader range of college students. Participating colleges expedite the process by administering the U-Pass enrollment and TAP stickers. Rates will vary depending on each college's fare subsidy program and will either match the Metro College/Vocational Reduced Fare TAP card rate or provide even greater savings.
- Get a temporary Reduced Fare TAP card right away at a Metro Customer Center .
- Make sure you have proper documentation and an image of yourself in the correct size.
- College/Vocational hard copy application and requirements.
- Gather all the requirements and apply online. Wait time is approximately 4-6 weeks to receive your College/Vocational TAP card.
- Online Application for College/Vocational
How to Pay
TAP is the quick and convenient way to pay your Metro fare. The TAP card costs $2 plus fare and includes transfers to Metro rail and bus. Use it to pay for Metro bus, rail, and 24 other transit providers throughout LA County.
Cash payment (exact change) and tokens, are only accepted on buses that do not have All-Door Boarding . Transfers are not included. Tokens will be phased out by November 2019. To ride Metro Rail, you must pay with a TAP card.