How much does it cost for College/Vocational Students?
|LIFE 30-Day Pass (low-income)||$30|
|U-Pass (participating schools only)||varies|
• Fare payment with TAP includes 2 hrs of unlimited transfers to Metro rail and bus in one direction (no roundtrips).
• Add’l 75¢ charge for the Silver Line and the Express Bus Lines 442 , 460 , 487 , 489 , 501 , 550 , and 577
• Add’l 50¢ charge for a transfer to non-Metro buses within 2.5 hrs.
- If using cash, please have exact fare when you board the bus. Metro bus operators do not carry change.
- Two children under age 5 may travel free with each fare-paying adult on bus or rail.
- Eating, drinking or smoking is not permitted in Metro stations, buses or trains.
- Warning: Failure to pay the proper fare is a violation of Section 640 Penal Code and may result in a fine up to $250 and 48 hours community service.
- 30-Day Pass : Valid for 30 consecutive days from the first tap. Expires at 3am on the day following expiration. Add’l charges apply to ride: Metro Silver Line, Metro Express Buses.
- 30-Day + Zone 1 Pass : Ride Metro for 30 consecutive days from the first tap. Includes: All Metro Services
TAP is a reloadable fare card that offers the most convenient and flexible way to pay your fare on Metro bus and rail. It is also valid for travel with 25 transit agencies across LA County. Load, Tap and Go!
How to get a reduced fare TAP card as a College/Vocational Student
First check to see if your college is already a part of the U-Pass program for greater savings. If not, apply for the College/Vocational TAP card online to qualify for Reduced Fare.
If your school participates in this program, U-Pass is the quickest and most economical choice.
Metro is partnering with a growing number of colleges to offer reduced fare to a broader range of college students. Participating colleges expedite the process by administering the U-Pass enrollment and TAP stickers. Rates will vary depending on each college's fare subsidy program and will either match the Metro College/Vocational Reduced Fare TAP card rate or provide even greater savings.
- Apply at a Metro Customer Center .
- Make sure you have proper documentation and an image of yourself in the correct size.
- College/Vocational hard copy application and requirements.
- Gather all the requirements and apply online. Wait time is approximately 4-6 weeks to receive your College/Vocational TAP card.
- Online Application for College/Vocational
How to Pay
The TAP card costs $2 plus fare and includes transfers to Metro rail and bus. For additional TAP questions please visit taptogo.net or call 866.827.8646
- Buy a regular fare TAP card online
- Reload, check your balance + expiration date of your TAP card
Register your TAP card by calling 866.TAPTOGO for:
- Balance protection should you lose your card
- Ability to transfer a remaining balance from one TAP card to another
- Consolidation of remaining balances from several TAP cards to one
Exact change is accepted on buses that do not have All-Door Boarding . Transfers are not included.
To ride Metro Rail, you must pay with a TAP card.
ALERT: Metro tokens are no longer accepted as payment. Read more about token elimination--> .