How much does it cost for College/Vocational Students?
|LIFE 30-Day Pass (low-income)||$30|
|U-Pass (participating schools only)||varies|
• Fare payment with TAP includes 2 hrs of unlimited transfers to Metro rail and bus in one direction (no roundtrips).
• Add’l 75¢ charge for the Silver Line and the Express Bus Lines 442 , 460 , 487 , 489 , 501 , 550 , and 577
• Add’l 50¢ charge for a transfer to non-Metro buses within 2.5 hrs.
- If using cash, please have exact fare when you board the bus. Metro bus operators do not carry change.
- Two children under age 5 may travel free with each fare-paying adult on bus or rail.
- Eating, drinking or smoking is not permitted in Metro stations, buses or trains.
- Warning: Failure to pay the proper fare is a violation of Section 640 Penal Code and may result in a fine up to $250 and 48 hours community service.
- 30-Day Pass : Valid for 30 consecutive days from the first tap. Expires at 3am on the day following expiration. Add’l charges apply to ride: Metro Silver Line, Metro Express Buses.
- 30-Day + Zone 1 Pass : Ride Metro for 30 consecutive days from the first tap. Includes: All Metro Services
How to get a reduced fare TAP card as a College/Vocational Student
First check to see if your college is already a part of the U-Pass program for greater savings. If not, apply for the College/Vocational TAP card online to qualify for Reduced Fare.
If your school participates in this program, U-Pass is the quickest and most economical choice.
Metro is partnering with a growing number of colleges to offer reduced fare to a broader range of college students. Participating colleges expedite the process by administering the U-Pass enrollment and TAP stickers. Rates will vary depending on each college's fare subsidy program and will either match the Metro College/Vocational Reduced Fare TAP card rate or provide even greater savings.
- Apply at a Metro Customer Center .
- Make sure you have proper documentation and an image of yourself in the correct size.
- College/Vocational hard copy application and requirements.
- Gather all the requirements and apply online. Wait time is approximately 4-6 weeks to receive your College/Vocational TAP card.
- Online Application for College/Vocational
How to Pay
TAP is the quick and convenient way to pay your Metro fare. The TAP card costs $2 plus fare and includes transfers to Metro rail and bus. Use it to pay for Metro bus, rail, and 24 other transit providers throughout LA County.
- Buy a regular fare TAP card online
- Reload , check your balance + expiration date of your TAP card
- TAP Vending Machines
- TAP Vendor Locations
It is recommended that you register your TAP card by calling 866.TAPTOGO for:
- balance protection should you lose your card
- ability to transfer a remaining balance from one TAP card to another
- consolidation of remaining balances from several TAP cards to one
Exact change and tokens are accepted on buses that do not have All-Door Boarding . Transfers are not included.
To ride Metro Rail, you must pay with a TAP card.
ALERT: Friday, November 29, 2019 is the last day you can use tokens on Metro. Read more about token elimination--> .