Metro can assist in getting younger students where they need to go. Reduced Fare rates for students only apply if you qualify and receive a Reduced Fare TAP card. Sign up today!
Students (K-12) Fare and Passes
|LIFE 30-Day Pass (low-income)||$14|
Fare payment with TAP includes 2 hrs of unlimited transfers to Metro rail and bus in one direction (no roundtrips) . Add’l 75¢ charge for the Silver Line bus and the Express Bus Lines 442 , 460 , 487 , 489 , 501 , 550 , and 577 . Add’l 50¢ charge for a transfer to non-Metro buses within 2.5 hrs.
- If using cash, please have exact fare when you board the bus. Metro bus operators do not carry change.
- Eating, drinking or smoking is not permitted in Metro stations, buses or trains.
- Warning: Failure to pay the proper fare is a violation of Section 640 Penal Code and may result in a fine up to $250 and 48 hours community service.
- 30-Day Pass : Valid for 30 consecutive days from the first tap. Expires at 3am on the day following expiration. Add’l charges apply to ride: Metro Silver Line, Metro Express Buses.
- 30-Day + Zone 1 Pass : Ride Metro for 30 consecutive days from the first tap. Includes: All Metro Services
How to get a Reduced Fare TAP card
- Get a temporary Reduced Fare TAP card right away at a Metro Customer Center .
- Make sure you have proper documentation and an image of yourself in the correct size.
- Student (K-12) hard copy application and requirements.
- Gather all the requirements and apply online. Wait time is approximately 4-6 weeks to receive your College/Vocational TAP card.
- Online Application for Students (K-12)
How to Pay
TAP is the quick and convenient way to pay your Metro fare. The TAP card costs $2 plus fare and includes transfers to Metro rail and bus. Use it to pay for Metro bus, rail, and 24 other transit providers throughout LA County.
Cash payment (exact change) and tokens, are only accepted on buses that do not have All-Door Boarding . Transfers are not included. Tokens will be phased out by November 2019. To ride Metro Rail, you must pay with a TAP card.
Additional ways for Students (K-12) to save when riding Metro
If you frequently ride Metro in combination with other transit systems, EZ Pass could provide additional savings.
EZ Month Pass (zone 0) = $110 + $22 per add'l zone
Metro’s Rider Relief Program is now the LIFE (Low-Income Fare is Easy) program. Qualifying riders can save even more on fares on Metro and participating transit systems with LIFE benefits.
The Metro Student Field Trip Program can facilitate class field trips to numerous approved destinations.