How much does it cost for Students (K-12)
|LIFE 30-Day Pass (low-income)||$14|
• Fare payment with TAP includes 2 hrs of unlimited transfers to Metro rail and bus in one direction (no roundtrips).
• Add’l 75¢ charge for the Silver Line and the Express Bus Lines 442 , 460 , 487 , 489 , 501 , 550 , and 577
• Add’l 50¢ charge for a transfer to non-Metro buses within 2.5 hrs.
- If using cash, please have exact fare when you board the bus. Metro bus operators do not carry change.
- Eating, drinking or smoking is not permitted in Metro stations, buses or trains.
- Warning: Failure to pay the proper fare is a violation of Section 640 Penal Code and may result in a fine up to $250 and 48 hours community service.
- 30-Day Pass : Valid for 30 consecutive days from the first tap. Expires at 3am on the day following expiration. Add’l charges apply to ride: Metro Silver Line, Metro Express Buses.
- 30-Day + Zone 1 Pass : Ride Metro for 30 consecutive days from the first tap. Includes: All Metro Services
How to get a Reduced Fare TAP card
- Apply at a Metro Customer Center .
- Make sure you have proper documentation and an image of yourself in the correct size.
- Student (K-12) hard copy application and requirements.
- Gather all the requirements and apply online. Wait time is approximately 4-6 weeks to receive your College/Vocational TAP card.
- Online Application for Students (K-12)
How to Pay
The TAP card costs $2 plus fare and includes transfers to Metro rail and bus. For additional TAP questions please call 866.827.8646
- Buy a regular fare TAP card online
- Reload, check your balance + expiration date of your TAP card
Register your TAP card by calling 866.TAPTOGO for:
- balance protection should you lose your card
- ability to transfer a remaining balance from one TAP card to another
- consolidation of remaining balances from several TAP cards to one
Exact change and tokens are accepted on buses that do not have All-Door Boarding . Transfers are not included.
To ride Metro Rail, you must pay with a TAP card.
ALERT: Friday, November 29, 2019 is the last day you can use tokens on Metro. Read more about token elimination--> .
Additional ways for Students (K-12) to save when riding Metro
If you frequently ride Metro in combination with other transit systems, EZ Pass could provide additional savings.
EZ Month Pass (zone 0) = $110 + $22 per add'l zone
Metro’s Rider Relief Program is now the LIFE (Low-Income Fare is Easy) program. Qualifying riders can save even more on fares on Metro and participating transit systems with LIFE benefits.
The Metro Student Field Trip Program can facilitate class field trips to numerous approved destinations.