Metro Youth Council’s goal is to develop the capacity of young people to engage and participate in Metro’s plans, projects, programs and initiatives. The Youth Council is built upon the following objectives:
- Listen to the concerns and hopes of young people and future riders
- Learn and receive new ideas and perspectives about issues Metro may face
- Engage future community leaders and increase youth’s awareness of Metro
- Empower – Provide space for youth leaders to share their voices in transportation decision-making
- Ridership – Create life-long riders
27 Youth from Los Angeles County, between the ages of 14-17, will be selected to serve the 2023 council term.
Youth will be selected to serve from the following regions:
- San Gabriel Valley
- San Fernando Valley
- Gateway Cities
- Central Los Angeles
- Westside Cities
- South Bay
- Las Virgenes/Malibu
- North LA County
- Live in Los Angeles County and be between 14 -17 years old
- Civic Engagement and Leadership Development
- Members will have the opportunity to be part of the Youth Council Cabinet, composed of the Chair, Vice Chair, Secretary, Communications Officer and Special Event Coordinator. *
- Certificate of Participation
- Mentorship & Networking
- Connecting with peers from across LA County
- Attend and Participate in Metro Events and Activities
- End of Year Stipend
- Commit to a 1-year term from January- December 2024, with a max of 4 hours per month. *Parent/Guardian Consent Form required upon joining the Youth Council.
- Attend Mandatory Welcome Session on Saturday, January 27th 10am- 1pm at Metro Headquarters in Los Angeles Union Station in Downtown LA.
- Attend monthly meetings held every 3rd Monday of the month at 6pm via Zoom. (Note: Council Meeting in February will be held on Tuesday, February 20 due President’s Day holiday).
- Council members elected as Chair, Vice Chair, Secretary, Communications Officer and Special Events Coordinator will be required to meet on the first Monday of the month for 30 minutes virtually, in addition to the regular Youth Council meetings. (Note: Due to Labor Day holiday, Cabinet Meeting will be held on Tuesday, September 3).
- Participate at the Metro Youth Summit event held in September and in at least one LA Metro event during the one-year term.
- Participate in meaningful dialogue with Metro’s leadership on projects, programs and initiatives.
- Bus and Rail Operations
- Planning and Construction Projects
- Civic Engagement
- Civil Rights, Equity and Race
- Safety & Security
- Career Pathways
- Marketing & Communications
- Sustainability and so much more!
Join Metro Youth Council
- Apply: Fill out online application that includes the following written questions:
a. Why do you want to serve on the Metro Youth Council? (250 words max)
b. What are 2 to 3 important issues facing youth right now in your community and why? (250 words max)
c. In a few final sentences, tell us more about yourself or anything else you would like to share. (250 max)
- Application Review
- Interview: 15-minute Zoom interview for applicants who proceed.
- Selection: The 2024 Metro Youth Council will be selected.
The application will close on Tuesday, October 3, 2023.
Metro Youth Summit on September 23, 2023
Metro’s Youth Council presents the Metro Youth Summit, an event by youth for youth! Food, prizes, DJ, 360 photo booth, exciting panel discussions, activities and more. This year’s theme is Traveling Sustainably, be part of the conversation on how you can explore LA’s best destinations while lowering your carbon footprint.
- Date/Time: Saturday, September 23, 2023 at 9:30am to 12:30pm
- Location: Union Station Ticketing Concourse Room
Metro hosted various information sessions for youth interested in learning more about the Youth Council, to watch the recording, click here.
Stay in Touch
Stay in touch with the Youth Council by signing up to receive updates from Metro on youth opportunities and events.
Email: [email protected]