Recruitment for Metro's 2020 Transportation Career Academy is currently closed and our team is no longer accepting new applications. We look forward to sharing updates as information is made available.
The Transportation Career Academy Program provides summer internship opportunities to junior and senior high school students who are transit dependent, reside in LA County, live in close proximity of a Metro Rail station and whose schools are located near Metro’s rail expansion efforts. This program offers students an opportunity to learn about careers in transportation and apply classroom theories and concepts to “real-world” work situations at one of the nation’s largest public transportation agencies.
- 7-week program
- Interns work Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.
- Fridays are designated for “in-service training” and Metro tours
- Pay rates are based on LA minimum wage requirements
- Offers high school students an opportunity to explore careers in transportation
- Connects learning from high school coursework to real-world work experience
- Provides an on-the-job work experience in a specific career pathway or in a specific technical area
- Establishes a professional mentorship relationship for interns and their mentors
- Provides an innovative approach to how LA Metro promotes transportation, anti-graffiti and safety education programs
- Junior and senior high school students who have met program requirements
- Must be between the ages of 16 – 18 years of age
- Must have a Grade Point Average (GPA) 2.5 or better
- U.S. citizen, permanent resident or high school students who have legal authorization to work in the United States
- Must have work permit (if under 18 years of age)