Start a School Pool
There are many ways to save time and get your students to school safely.
Metro can help parents at your school carpool by creating a parent carpool directory and matching parents with similar schedules – for free! Other options include walking, bicycling, taking public transit and starting a school bus service. Setting up drop-off lanes or a valet service can also decrease traffic and improve safety at your student’s school.
Make a Carpool Directory
Carpooling is an effective way to save money on gas and reduce traffic and pollution in the neighborhood.
If you are a school administrator and would like Metro to create a parent carpool directory for your school, then our software can match parents with similar schedules and destinations. These services are free!
If you’re successful in starting a carpool to school, parents qualify for the Metro Rewards program which entitles you to a discount coupon book with over $1,000 in savings and 100,000 online offers redeemable across the nation. Contact us at email@example.com for more information.
At least 50 participating families are typically required per school for successful carpool matching. All information is confidential and will not be shared outside of your school.
Designated Drop-Off Lanes
Create a student drop-off zone at your school to reduce traffic! Drop-off lanes help students get out of their cars quickly and safely, so parents don’t need to park or exit the car. These programs have nearly eliminated traffic at other schools! Los Angeles Unified School District provides free training and valet kits (safety vests, traffic cones) for parents.
- See LA Unified School District, Office of Environmental Health and Safety for additional resources .
- The City of Livermore had a very successful program.
- The City of Santa Clarita also initiated a successful drop-off zone.
Walking and Biking
Research shows that children get up to 33% of their daily exercise from walking to school. To make walking and biking safe for everyone, consider the following resources:
- Work with Metro’s Safe Routes to School program!
- Find maps of safe walking routes to every school in Los Angeles Unified School District.
- Use bike maps to navigate a safe route to school for older students.
- Create programs and find funding to make walking and bicycling safer for your community.
Taking Public Transit
Students are eligible for large fare discounts on Metro TAP passes. Busses and trains often service the homes and schools of students, so look into finding an appropriate route.
Metro also offers public art tours and safety presentations about the Metro system that are open to all students, as well as free class field trips to museums and other destinations:
- Metro Transit Education Programs & Safety
- Metro Safety Teaching Aids
- Metro Student Field Trips
- Metro Rail Public Art Tours
School Bus Service
School buses reduce parking needs and traffic. To begin first learn:
Los Angeles Unified School District published a list of safety-approved charter bus companies
For questions about Los Angeles Unified School District school bus service, contact their Transportation Services Division