What is Bike to Work Day?
Bike to Work Day (BTWD) is a celebration of bicycles as a fun and healthy way to get to work, as well as an opportunity for those who don’t usually bike commute to try it out! This year, Los Angeles County has postponed celebrating Bike to Work Day until September . Stay tuned for more info on j oin ing other Angelenos by pedaling to work on the biggest biking day of the year.
How to Host an Event : On Bike to Work Day, employers are encouraged to host pit stops for bicyclists. Typically pit stops are held on the morning or evening of Bike to Work Day during peak commute hours (e.g., 6:00-9:00 a.m.). Pit stop organizers typically set up a booth or table with water and refreshments (e.g., bananas, bagels, coffee, etc.) and promotional items (e.g., bike lights, ankle straps, etc.) and distribute them to bicyclists who stop by en route to home or work . Whether they are simple or elaborate, pit stops are great ways for employers to show support and cheer on their employees!
Employers can also hold other events such as group bike rides, bike checkups, repair clinics, and more. If you would like to hold a pit stop or other event, please fill out the form .
How to Encourage Employees to Participate in Bike to Work Day
Employers can inform their employees of Bike to Work Day by posting flyers and sending emails inviting people to bike to work . They can circulate information to employees regardin g Bike to Work Day pit stops and other events. Other ways to engage employees include:
Set up a competition
Hold a team bike challenge and have employees compete against each other or a neighboring company for the most miles traveled.
Show Them the Ropes
Have someone on staff who commutes? Ask them to be a bike mentor and encourage co-workers to ride. Support safe cycling by promoting free local bicycle education classes .
Thank Your Employees for Participating in Bike Month and Bike to Work Day
Plan a quick Bike to Work Day celebration breakfast or lunch and prizes for participants to thank employees for participating in Bike to Work Day and Bike Month 20 20 .
Stay tuned for more resources to get bicyclists in your area excited about Bike to Work Day!
Here are top five messages you can use for Twitter and Facebook posts and don’t forget to use # BiketoWorkDay :
- Where will the ride take you? Join us this # Bike toWorkDay to find out! metro.net/ bikemonth
- Looking for ways to improve your bike commute? Visit metro.net/ gobike for safety tips group rides and more. # Bike toWorkDay
- No time for the gym? Riding your bike to work, shop or visit a friend is an easy way to work in a workout! # Bike toWorkDay
- Taking your bike instead of the car to school/work today? Share a photo and use hashtag # Bike toWorkDay
- More than 80% of bike commuters say they feel healthier and less stressed. Probably because they're getting exercise, saving money, and doing something good for the environment . Be one of those people! # Bike toWorkDay