Every May we celebrate bicycling as an essential transportation mode and healthy activity. This year, Metro will recognize Bike Month in May 2021, including Bike Anywhere Day (May 21, 2021) that will coincide with Bike Week (May 17-23, 2021).
Tips and resources for a safe 2021 Bike Month:
- Make sure your bicycle is in good working condition. Check the tire air pressure and make sure the other components such as brakes, handlebars, chain, seat, etc. are properly secure and adjusted
- Follow the rules of the road by riding in the direction of traffic and obeying stop signs and lights
- Gear up with a helmet, gloves and face mask. Be visible with front and rear lights
- Use sanitizing wipes to clean your bike before and after and wash your hands when you get home
- Enjoy the fresh air and remember to greet others from a safe distance (at least 6 feet)
- Know that people are out bicycling as well as walking and jogging throughout the day in your neighborhood
- Traffic conditions may be lighter, but still obey the speed limit. The severity of injury increases with speed
- Avoid popular or busy bike paths or shared paths when exercising, even in your local area. Consult the LA Metro Bike Map for bike infrastructure closures
- When passing a bike in your car, check often and give at least three feet of space between your car and those bicycling, or better yet change lanes if cleared to do so
- When driving in urban areas be extra vigilant to drive cautiously especially in residential neighborhoods and retail areas
- Don’t be distracted with any devices
- Watch Metro’s "How to Ride" tutorials to brush up on how to bring your bike on transit.
Do a Virtual Bike Activity
Metro's Bicycle Education Safety Training (BEST) Program continues to offer FREE virtual video classes. Choose from a variety of bike topics including basic bike repairs, rules of the road, and other tips to bike safely in your neighborhood. Some classes will also be available in Spanish. Attendees are encouraged to participate from the comfort and safety of your own homes, so we can all be doing our part to continue physical distancing. Once registered further instructions for connecting via a virtual platform will be sent.
Explore and do a Self-Guided Bike Ride! BEST Program Partners have designed a series of self-guided bike rides throughout LA County combining easy, fun, and family-friendly bike rides with facts and tidbits about LA 's history, environment, landmarks, and other points of interest. Do it at your own leisure and pace, wear a face covering, practice physical distancing, and explore your local surroundings!
To sign up for Virtual Bike Classes or to download a Self-Guided Ride, visit metrobest.eventbrite.com .
Get Riding with Metro Bike Share
Metro Bike Share is the perfect option if your personal bike is out of commission, you don't own a bike, or you have a friend or family member in town who's looking to join you on your rides this month. Metro Bike Share offers convenient round-the-clock access to a fleet of bicycles in DTLA, Central LA, North Hollywood and on the Westside. Use the station map online and in the Metro Bike Share App to find stations and pick up a Metro Bike at one of the over 200 Metro Bike Share stations across LA County. Just don't forget to return your bike to a station at the end of your trip!
- To celebrate Bike Month, Metro Bike Share is offering its 30-Day Pass for just $1. Use the promo code BIKEMONTH2021 online or in the Metro Bike Share app to redeem. TAP users can redeem this offer through taptogo.net .
- Start collecting stamps in your Ride Guide Passport: The first 25 to get 3 Ride Guide Stamps will receive a Metro Bike Share t-shirt. One lucky winner will get a free 365-Day Pass on us!
- Ride a Metro Bike on us on Ride There Day, Friday May 23rd, with a free 1-Ride pass. Use promo code 052321 online , at a kiosk, or on the Metro Bike Share app .
- Folllow and tag @BikeMetro on Facebook , Twitter , and Instagram and share your Metro Bike rides with us.
Bike Parking Options
Throughout May, One-Year passes to Metro Bike Hubs are $20.21 (reg $60) for new and previous members. Register here and use promo code: MAY2021.
Metro Bike Hubs offers secure bike parking 24/7 at five Metro rail stations (and growing): El Monte, Hollywood/Vine, Union Station, Culver City and Willowbrook Rosa Park. Each location is remotely monitored and regularly disinfected. More info about Metro Bike Hub here .
We’re hosting classes in May to help you become a bike commuter. Join us live on Zoom or tune-in to a recording of three foundational topics everyone needs to know:
- Becoming a Bike Commuter : Introduction on being a bike commuter. Learn about bike selection, riding rules and tips, gear you’ll need, and mapping a route.
- Commute 101 : Bike commuting tips such as riding safely in the dark, locking tips, and riding rules and tips.
- Flat Tire Clinic : Every bike commuter should learn how to fix a flat tire. We take a step-by-step approach in a conversational style to ask questions along the way.
Bike parking is also available at every station through either Metro bike lockers and racks.