Every year we celebrate bicycling as an essential transportation mode and healthy activity. While typically taking place in May, many of us are continuing to stay at home as a necessary measure to slow the spread of COVID-19.
This year, Metro will recognize Bike Month in September, including Ride a Bike Day that will coincide with World Car Free Day (September 22, 2020). Here are some tips and resources to help us all get through this together.
- Make sure your bicycle is in good working condition. Check the tire air pressure and make sure the other components such as brakes, handlebars, chain, seat, etc. are properly secure and adjusted
- Follow the rules of the road by riding in the direction of traffic and obeying stop signs and lights
- Gear up with a helmet, gloves and face mask. Be visible with front and rear lights
- Use sanitizing wipes to clean your bike before and after and wash your hands when you get home
- Enjoy the fresh air and remember to greet others from a safe distance (at least 6 feet)
- Know that people are out bicycling as well as walking and jogging throughout the day in your neighborhood
- Traffic conditions may be lighter, but still obey the speed limit. The severity of injury increases with speed
- Avoid popular or busy bike or shared - paths to exercise even in your local area. Consult the LA Metro Bike Map for bike infrastructure closures
- When passing in car, check often and give at least three feet of space between your car and those bicycling, or better yet change lanes if cleared to do so
- When driving in urban areas be extra vigilant to drive cautiously especially in residential neighborhoods and retail areas
- Don 't be distracted with any devices
- Brush up on bike "How to Ride" tutorials on Metro 's YouTube channel while you 're safe at home.
Do a Virtual Bike Activity
Metro's Bicycle Education Safety Training (BEST) Program continues to offer FREE virtual classes. Choose from a variety of bike topics including basic bike repairs, rules of the road, and other tips to bike safely in your neighborhood. Some classes will also be available in Spanish. Attendees are encouraged to participate from the comfort and safety of your own homes, so we can all be doing our part to continue physical distancing. Once registered further instructions for connecting via a virtual platform will be sent.
Explore and do a Self-Guided Bike Ride! BEST Program Partners have designed a series of self-guided bike rides throughout LA County combining easy, fun, and family-friendly bike rides with facts and tidbits about LA 's history, environment, landmarks, and other points of interest. Do it at your own leisure and pace, wear a face covering, practice physical distancing, and explore your local surroundings!
To sign up for Virtual Bike Classes or to download Self-Guided Ride info, visit metrobest.eventbrite.com .
Get Riding with Metro Bike Share
If you don't currently own a bike,
Metro Bike Share
offers convenient round-the-clock access to a fleet of bicycles for short trips, available 24/7, 365 days a year in Los Angeles County.
Here are some ways to celebrate Bike Month with Metro Bike Share this year:
- Get a 30-Day Pass for $1: To celebrate Bike Month, Metro Bike Share is offering its 30-Day Pass for just $1. Use the promo code RIDESEPTEMBER online or in the Metro Bike Share app to redeem. TAP users can redeem this offer through taptogo.net .
- Play Bike Month Bingo: The first 50 to get BINGO will receive a Metro Bike Share hip pack. One lucky winner will get a free 365-Day Pass on us! Download the Bingo board here .
- Ride a Metro Bike on Ride a Bike Day, Tuesday, September 22.
- Get Social on Social: Add @BikeMetro on Facebook , Twitter , and Instagram and share your Metro Bike rides with us.
So get out on a Metro Bike and ride this month! Just don't forget to wash your hands before and after every trip, keep physical distance between yourself and others while using stations and while riding, and wear a mask while in public.
Bike Parking Options
For parking your bike, there are Metro bike lockers and Metro Bike Hubs . Metro Bike Hubs offer secure membership-access only bike parking with enhanced security features such as video surveillance and an alarm system. Currently, on-site mechanics and attended staffing services are suspended.