Field Work: Beverly Hills Area
Metro contractors are preparing to conduct fieldwork activities in the Beverly Hills area as a part of the planning for the Westside Subway Extension. This work will prepare for fieldwork to build on the data previously gathered along the route of the project.
Monday, June 18 through Friday, June 29 (weekdays only), from 9:00am-3:00pm Metro contractors will conduct work at the following locations:
- Wilshire Blvd and Tower Drive
- Wilshire Blvd east of Gale Drive
- Wilshire Blvd west of Gale Drive
- Wilshire Blvd west of Hamilton Drive
- Wilshire Blvd east of La Cienega Blvd.
Note: Should any work need to be cancelled and rescheduled, Metro will inform you of new work date(s)/time(s).
The equipment to be used during the field testing is described below:
Continuous Core Drilling
Hollow-stem core borings will be drilled using a truck-mounted drilling rig advancing a core barrel into the ground by spinning a 6- to 12-inch diameter casing with a drill bit into the ground to collect samples of the various soil layers. After the exploration is completed, the soil cuttings generated during drilling will be placed in drums, tested for adverse chemicals, and disposed of off-site on a daily basis. The work areas will be scanned for utilities prior to drilling, and the upper soils will be hand augered. At the conclusion of drilling, the hole will be filled with grout and its top patched with asphalt to match the surrounding grade.
What to Expect During Continuous Core Drilling:
- A drilling crew consisting of up to 4 personnel per rig.
- A truck-mounted drill rig and support trucks (see photo).
- Drums to collect soil cuttings for sampling and disposal at conclusion of drilling.
- Parking lanes and/or up to two lanes of traffic will be blocked while work is underway on business/arterial streets.
- Moderate noise and moderate vibration.
- Lanes will be cleared at the end of the work period.
Other Important Information:
- All work has received necessary permits and approvals.
- Additional fieldwork following this testing is anticipated. We will inform the area(s) where and when this work will take place.
- For more information about the Westside Subway Extension, please leave a message at 213-922-6934 or online at www.metro.net/westside.
- For day-to-day testing location updates, please follow us at twitter.com/westsidesubway.
- For emergencies or issues needing immediate attention, please call 323-889-5311