Geotechnical Fieldwork: Westwood Area
Metro contractors are preparing to conduct a series of geotechnical field tests in the Westwood area as a part of the Final Environmental Impact Statement/Environmental Impact Report (Final EIS/EIR) for the Westside Subway Extension. This work will build on the data gathered during the Draft EIS/EIR for the project and provide further soil and seismic information along the route of the Locally Preferred Alternative (LPA). In certain areas, noise and vibration tests will also be conducted. Following the tests, the data will be analyzed and used to make further informed decisions about subway construction.
Crews will conduct Cone Penetrometer Testing (CPT) that will consist of a truck which advances a steel cone tip into the ground by pushing an approximately one-inch diameter steel rod attached to the cone tip. As for all borings, the work area will be scanned for utilities prior to drilling, and the upper soils will be hand augered. Parking lanes and traffic lanes will need to be coned off during work hours
Where: City of Los Angeles (Westwood Area)
When: December 27-28, 2010; 9am-3pm (Weather Permitting)
- Westholme Avenue/Between Ashton and Wilshire
What to Expect:
- A CPT truck
- Parking lane and/or one lane of traffic will be blocked while work is under way on residential streets and up to two lanes on business/arterial streets
- Moderate noise
- Lanes will be cleared at the end of the work period and re-opened for regular use
Other Important Information
- All work has received necessary permits and approvals.
- It may be necessary to conduct additional fieldwork following this testing. If this is necessary, we will inform the area(s) where this work will take place.
- For more information about the Westside Subway Extension, please leave a message at 213-922-6934 or online at www.metro.net/westside .
- For day-to-day testing location updates, please follow us at twitter.com/westsidesubway
- For emergencies or issues needing immediate attention, please call 323-236-2117.