Metro contractors are preparing to conduct fieldwork activities in the Wilshire/La Brea area as a part of the pre-construction activities for the Westside Subway Extension. This work will build on the data previously gathered along the route of the project.
Monday, August 13 through Friday September 7, 2012 (Weekdays only), from 9:00am-3:30pm
Metro contractors will conduct work along Wilshire Blvd, between S. La Brea Avenue and S. Highland Avenue & Wilshire Blvd and S. Saint Andrews Place
Note: Should any work need to be cancelled and rescheduled, Metro will inform you of new work date(s)/time(s).
The equipment to be used during the field testing is described below:
Precautions for Existing Utilities:
For above date and locations the work will involve checking for existing underground utilities in preparation for the drilling of exploratory borings. Underground Service Alert (USA) will be notified. The work sites will be scanned for utilities using geophysical methods. Based on the results of the geophysical scanning and USA notification, drilling location will be selected within each given work site to avoid conflicting with existing utilities.
Hollow-stem borings will be drilled using a truck-mounted drilling rig advancing a core barrel into the ground by spinning a 6- to 12-inch diameter casing with a drill bit into the ground to collect samples of the various soil layers. After the exploration is completed, the soil cuttings generated during drilling will be placed in drums, tested for adverse chemicals, and disposed of off-site on a daily basis. The work areas will be scanned for utilities prior to drilling, and the upper soils will be hand augered. At the conclusion of drilling, the hole will be filled with grout and its top patched with asphalt to match the surrounding grade.
What to Expect During Hollow Stem Drilling:
- A drilling crew consisting of up to 4 personnel per rig.
- A truck-mounted drill rig and support trucks (see photo).
- Drums to collect soil cuttings for sampling and disposal at conclusion of drilling.
- Parking lanes and/or up to two lanes of traffic will be blocked while work is under way on business/arterial streets.
- Moderate noise and moderate vibration.
- Lanes will be cleared at the end of the work period.
Other Important Information:
- All work has received necessary permits and approvals.
- Additional fieldwork following this testing is anticipated. We will inform the areas where and when this work will take place.
- For more information about the Westside Subway Extension, please leave a message at 213-922-6934 or online at www.metro.net/westside.
- For emergencies or issues needing immediate attention, please call 323-889-5311