Geotechnical Field Work: Beverly Hills Area
Metro contractors are preparing to conduct a series of geotechnical field tests in the Beverly Hills area as a part of the planning for the Westside Subway Extension. This work will build on the data previously gathered during the Draft EIS/EIR and Preliminary Engineering Phases for the project and provide further soil and seismic information along the route of the Locally Preferred Alternative (LPA). Following the tests, the data will be analyzed and used to make further informed decisions about subway construction.
Monday, April 30 and Tuesday, May 1 from 9:00am-3:30pm Metro contractors will conduct work at the following locations:
- Wilshire Blvd and west of S. Gale Drive
- S. La Cienega Blvd. and Wilshire Blvd
Note: Should any work need to be cancelled and rescheduled, Metro will inform you of new work date(s)/time(s).
The equipment to be used during the field testing is described below:
Cone Penetrometer Testing (CPT)
Cone Penetrometer Testing (CPT) will consist of a truck, which advances a steel cone tip into the ground by pushing approximately one-inch diameter steel rods attached to the cone tip. As for all borings, the work area will be scanned for utilities prior to drilling, and the upper soils will be hand augered. At the conclusion of testing, the hole will be filled with grout and its top patched with asphalt to match the surrounding grade. Parking lanes and traffic lanes will need to be coned off during work hours.
What to Expect During CPT Soundings:
- A CPT truck (see photo).
- Parking lane and/or one lane of traffic will be blocked while work is under way on residential streets and up to two lanes on business/arterial streets.
- Moderate noise.
- Lanes will be cleared at the end of the work period and re-opened for regular use.
Other Important Information:
- All work has received necessary permits and approvals.
- Additional fieldwork following this testing is anticipated. We will inform the area(s) where and when this work will take place.
- For more information about the Westside Subway Extension, please leave a message at 213-922-6934 or online at www.metro.net/westside.
- For day-to-day testing location updates, please follow us at twitter.com/westsidesubway.
- For emergencies or issues needing immediate attention, please call 323-889-5311