OEI is envisioning the future of transportation in Los Angeles County.
Imagine less traffic but greater mobility. Cleaner air, more open space, seamless transfers and simpler connections between destinations for all who live, work, and play within our County. Los Angeles presents some of the country’s toughest mobility challenges, but the residents of the County deserve low-cost, reliable alternatives to driving alone. As Metro’s strategic thinktank and project incubator, OEI is discovering more and better ways for Metro to provide high quality mobility options, deliver outstanding trip experiences, and enhance communities and lives.
How will the future alter traveler needs and wants? Can drivers be nudged toward travelling differently? What types of project contracts drive performance, accelerate delivery and best mitigate risk? How can Metro improve the customer experience? These are just a few of the questions we consider every day as we seek to deliver the goals of Vision 2028.
Metro is reinventing mobility and OEI advances that effort primarily through three program areas:
Metro Vision 2028
is our agency’s big picture plan to improve mobility in Los Angeles County and explains what the public can expect from Metro over the next ten years. Its visionary outcome will be to double the share of non-drive-alone trips by 2028. The plan has five major goals:
- Provide high-quality mobility options that enable people to spend less time traveling.
- Deliver outstanding trip experiences for all users of the transportation system.
- Enhance communities and lives through mobility and access to opportunity.
- Transform LA County through regional collaboration and national leadership.
- Provide responsive, accountable, and trustworthy governance within the Metro organization.
- Unsolicited Proposals and Public Private Partnerships (P3) Unsolicited Proposals allow the private sector to present innovative ideas directly to Metro for evaluation, jump-starting the procurement process by bringing different approaches and solutions to the table. Whether it’s an idea to accelerate delivery of a large capital transportation project through a public private partnership or improve customer experience with a small station-based project, UPs can lead to a demonstration, pilot project, or even full deployment across Metro’s system. The Unsolicited Proposal Policy operationalizes Metro Vision 2028 through innovative technologies and business models, enabling Metro to more quickly realize the benefits of new opportunities to deliver service better, faster and more efficiently.
- New Mobility projects bring leading-edge transportation services made possible by new technology to the public transit environment. New Mobility pilots new service delivery models in partnership with Transportation Network and Micro-mobility companies and a focus on improving mobility and access for our most vulnerable communities.