As part of the Federal government’s Coronavirus Guidance for America, transportation infrastructure is considered an “Essential Critical Infrastructure." Additionally, transit capital projects are not subject to the State of California’s Stay at Home order, therefore Metro construction projects continue to progress.
This monthly notification is an outline of construction activities related to the Wilshire/Rodeo Station for the month of January 2021.
Ongoing Station Excavation*
- Excavation continues beneath Wilshire Blvd. Excavation has reached an average depth of 80 feet across the width of the station box. Excavation is anticipated to be completed in the 1st quarter of 2021.
- S. Reeves Dr. remains closed from Wilshire Blvd. to the alley. Sidewalk closures remain in place on the west side of Reeves Dr. and the south side of Wilshire Blvd. between Beverly Dr. and Reeves Dr.
- Work hours underneath the deck are 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
- Hauling hours for removing the spoils are daily from 10pm to 4pm. A breakdown of work hours and the traffic configuration is detailed below:
- From 10am to 4pm, Wilshire Blvd. will remain open with two lanes in each direction between El Camino Dr. and Crescent Dr. During these hours, excavation will occur from the Reeves Yard closure.
- From 10pm to 10am, Wilshire Blvd. will be reduced to one lane in each direction between El Camino Dr. and Crescent Dr. Excavation may occur through deck openings at S. Cañon Dr. and just west of Beverly Dr.
Station Structure Construction to Begin in Early January 2021*
- As excavation nears completion, construction of the underground station enter a new phase. Materials and equipment will be brought on-site for ongoing construction. Station construction will continue into 2024.
- Work hours and traffic control in January will remain the same as excavation (see section above).
Ongoing Installation of Geotechnical Instrumentation*
- Instruments continue being installed along the tunnel alignment and around the station box area in order to monitor ground movement, settlement, and other geological impacts. Instruments are being installed within the public right-of-way as well as on private properties. The design-build contractor will coordinate closely with private properties for installation at impacted properties. Installation will be ongoing.
- Work hours are Monday through Friday from 7am to 4pm, weekends from 8am to 7pm, and from 8am to 6pm on residential streets.
- Installations may occur along Wilshire Blvd. from Linden Dr. to La Cienega Blvd., and on adjacent streets including Young Dr., Lasky Dr., S. Moreno Dr., Charleville Blvd., and Spalding Dr. Intermittent closures of traffic lanes, alleys, sidewalks, crosswalks, and parking meters may be required during work hours.
No work will occur on Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, New Year’s Eve, New Year’s Day, Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Day. Additionally, no work will occur if there is a City Sponsored Event (i.e. Holiday BOLD, Awards Event, etc.).
*Pending City of Beverly Hills approval.
Metro bus stops may be relocated or lines will be impacted. For information changes to Metro service, please call 323.GoMetro or visit: https://www.metro.net/service/advisories/
- All work has received necessary permits and approvals.
- Access for pedestrians will be maintained outside of the construction zone.
- Access for emergency responders will be maintained.
- Construction is a dynamic process and information is subject to change without notice.
- 24/7 Hotline: 213.922.6934
- Please review our construction safety tips
- Access for emergency responders will be maintained
- Construction is a dynamic process and information is subject to change without notice
More About Metro
Eat Shop Play
Support businesses located along the project alignment! Eat, Shop, Play locally during construction. For all the details, visit metro.net/eatshopplay
Business Interruption Fund
Metro's Business Interruption Fund (BIF) provides financial assistance to qualifying small “mom and pop” businesses directly impacted by construction; learn more by visiting metro.net/bif. To apply, visit Metro’s program administrator, Pacific Coast Regional Small Business Development Corporation (PCR).
Doing Business with Metro
Metro works with small businesses throughout Los Angeles County! Would you like to be one of our vendors? Visit business.metro.net for more details!