Construction activities related to piling are anticipated to begin October 9, 2019 and continue through July 2020*. Initial activities include tree removal, restriping of the street, K-rail set-up, and installing temporary street lights.
Pile drilling is anticipated to begin on October 21, 2019. This work will consist of closing three lanes of traffic on Wilshire Blvd. to install 288 piles around the perimeter of the station box, which spans between just west of the Wilshire Blvd./ Beverly Dr. intersection to west of Crescent Dr.
During pile drillng, a rig is used to drill up to 90-ft deep holes, then a crane places a steel beam (pile) into each hole. After the pile is placed, each hole is backfilled with concrete providing support during excavation for the underground subway station. This activity requires full-time lane closures on Wilshire Blvd. To accomplish this, a k-rail barrier will be in place 24 hours a day, 7 days a week through the completion of this work in July 2020*. Two lanes of traffic will remain open in each direction throughout this work.
The design-build contractor is anticipated to begin pile drilling on the north side of Wilshire Blvd. on October 21, 2019 until Thanksgiving Day, stop operations until after New Year’s Day, and then continue piling through March 2020*. After north side piling, the k-rail barriers will be shifted to the south side of Wilshire Blvd. in April 2020, where piling is anticipated to continue through July 2020*.
Note: No work will take place between Thanksgiving Day and New Year’s Day or City holidays.
- Full-time k-rail closure of three traffic lanes on Wilshire Blvd. from just west of Beverly Dr. to west of Crescent Dr.
- Alleys north of Wilshire Blvd. between Beverly Dr. and Crescent Dr. may be temporarily impacted during north side piling, estimated to take place between October 2019 through March 2020*.
- October 9, 2019 through approximately July 2020*.
- Closure in place 24 hours a day 7 days a week.
- Work Hours: 7 days a week, 8am – 9pm drilling and 9pm – 11pm non-drilling activities.
- Northside piling activities and drilling will take place from approximately October 2019 to March 2020*.
- Southside piling activities and drilling will take place from approximately April 2020 to July 2020*.
- Note: No work will occur between Thanksgiving Day and New Year’s Day.
- Traffic lanes will be reduced to two lanes eastbound and two lanes westbound on Wilshire Blvd.
- Turns will be restricted between Wilshire Blvd./Beverly Dr. and west of Crescent Dr./Wilshire Blvd.
- Sidewalks may be narrowed in work area, but will remain ADA compliant
- Crosswalk closures will be required at Wilshire Blvd./Beverly Dr. and Wilshire Blvd./S Canon Dr.
*Pending City of Beverly Hills approval. Construction is dynamic and is subject to change.
- Access to driveways, residences & businesses will be maintained at all times unless notified in advance.
- Access for pedestrians will be maintained outside of construction zones.
- Access for the Fire Department and emergency responders will be maintained.
- Parking restrictions will be implemented in the immediate area of the work zone.
- Metro 24-hour Hotline: 213.922.6934.
Metro bus stops may be impacted. For information regarding Metro Bus stops, please call 323.GoMetro or visit: https://www.metro.net/service/advisories/
- Please review our construction safety tips
- Access for emergency responders will be maintained
- Construction is a dynamic process and information is subject to change without notice.
More About Metro
Eat Shop Play
Support businesses located along the project alignment! Eat, Shop, Play locally during construction. For all the details, visit metro.net/eatshopplay
Business Interruption Fund
Metro's Business Interruption Fund (BIF) provides financial assistance to qualifying small “mom and pop” businesses directly impacted by construction; learn more by visiting metro.net/bif. To apply, visit Metro’s program administrator, Pacific Coast Regional Small Business Development Corporation (PCR).
Doing Business with Metro
Metro works with small businesses throughout Los Angeles County! Would you like to be one of our vendors? Visit business.metro.net for more details!