This monthly notification is an outline of construction activities for the month of April 2019. Additional notices detailing these activities will be sent by email through the Purple Line Extension, Section 2 database.
Setup of Construction Staging Yards
- Setup of the Construction staging yards continues within the sound walls at 1940, 1950, and 2040 Century Park East. This work includes site grading and the installation of access shaft piles, on-site drainage, and utilities.
Potholing on Constellation Blvd. West of Avenue of the Stars
- Potholing will be conducted to investigate the subsurface conditions on a portion of the north sidewalk on Constellation Blvd. just west of Avenue of the Stars. This work will take approximately two weeks to complete and is anticipated to begin in April.
- A westbound curb lane closure is required for this work
- The north sidewalk from Avenue of the Stars to the first private driveway will also be closed.
- Work will be performed during non-peak hours from 7pm to 6am.
- During this activity, pedestrian traffic will be detoured to the north of the work area.
- Traffic lane and sidewalk will be accessible during non-work hours.
Construction of Temporary Bus Layover on Santa Monica Blvd.
- Construction of the new temporary bus layover in the median on Santa Monica Blvd. between Avenue of the Stars and Century Park East will resume in April and continue through May.
- Intermittent lane and sidewalk closures on Santa Monica Blvd. will be implemented throughout construction Monday through Friday during off-peak hours from 9am to 4pm and 7pm to 6am.
- Metro bus lines 4, 704, 16, & 316 will continue to be detoured during this work.
- Click here for more information.
Advance Utility Relocation
- AT&T and Department of Water and Power (LADWP) power will continue to perform cable pulling activities on Constellation Blvd. through 2019.
- Work will take place Monday through Friday from 9am to 4pm and 11pm to 4am. Saturdays when necessary from 9am-4pm. No utility work is scheduled for Sundays.
- Click here for more information.
Excavation and Decking
- With piling completed around the perimeter of the launch box, the next steps are excavation and decking within the Constellation closure. Constellation Blvd. and the south sidewalk will be excavated to nearly 100 feet deep. This allows the tunnel boring machine to be placed within the launch box to begin tunneling for Section 2. Decking is a construction process that will replace Constellation Blvd. with temporary concrete deck panels serving as the temporary surface for construction equipment during excavation.
- The sidewalk on the north side of Constellation Blvd. will remain open during construction. Excavation and decking within the closure began in early-March and will continue for approximately 9 months.
Constellation Blvd. Closure
- Closure of Constellation Blvd. between Century Park East and Avenue of the Stars will be in place 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Additional traffic control measures have been implemented to support the closure.
- Craft valet and the driveway on Constellation Blvd. for Century Park will be accessible from Avenue of the Stars.
- Santa Monica Blvd, Avenue of the Stars, Century Park East, and Olympic Blvd. may be used as alternate routes. During the closure, public access will be prohibited to the driveway on the north side of Constellation Blvd. (behind Watt Plaza) but the sidewalk remains open. The south sidewalk on Constellation Blvd. will be closed until further notice.
- Sewer relocation work is scheduled to begin on Monday, April 1. This work will occur within the Constellation closure and will not cause any interruption to sewer services. Work will be performed from 4pm-1am Monday through Friday and weekends if necessary.
- Click here for more detailed information.
- All work has received necessary permits and approvals.
- Access to driveways, residences & businesses will be maintained at all times unless notified in advance.
- Access for pedestrians will be maintained outside of construction zones.
- Access for the Fire Department and emergency responders will be maintained.
- Parking restrictions will be implemented in the immediate area of the work zone.
- Metro 24-hour Hotline: 213.922.6934.
- Please review our construction safety tips
- Access for emergency responders will be maintained
- Construction is a dynamic process and information is subject to change without notice
For information changes to Metro service, please call 323.GoMetro or visit: https://www.metro.net/service/advisories/
More About Metro
Eat Shop Play
Support businesses located along the project alignment! Eat, Shop, Play locally during construction. For all the details, visit metro.net/eatshopplay
Business Interruption Fund
Metro's Business Interruption Fund (BIF) provides financial assistance to qualifying small “mom and pop” businesses directly impacted by construction; learn more by visiting metro.net/bif. To apply, visit Metro’s program administrator, Pacific Coast Regional Small Business Development Corporation (PCR).
Doing Business with Metro
Metro works with small businesses throughout Los Angeles County! Would you like to be one of our vendors? Visit business.metro.net for more details!