As part of the Federal government’s Coronavirus Guidance for America, transportation infrastructure is considered an “Essential Critical Infrastructure”. Additionally, transit capital projects are not subject to the State of California’s Stay at Home order, therefore Metro construction projects continue to progress.
This monthly notification is an outline of construction activities for the month of July 2020. *Pending City of Los Angeles approval.
Additional notices detailing these activities will be sent by email through the Purple Line Extension, Section 2 database.
Constellation Blvd. Temporary Full Closure East of Avenue of the Stars through August 2020 (day and night work)*
- The contractor is proposing a continuance of the temporary full closure of Constellation Blvd. between the current launch box full closure and Avenue of the Stars in order to expedite piling and decking activities during the statewide pandemic health restrictions and major reduction in traffic.
- This temporary full closure would be in place 24 hours a day, 7 days a week through August 2020.
- Vehicles will not be permitted onto Constellation Blvd. east of Avenue of the Stars during this closure. The Constellation Blvd. driveway into Century Park and the Craft valet are currently closed.
- The north Constellation Blvd. sidewalk within this work area will be closed. The south side sidewalk will remain open and a pedestrian detour will remain in place to maintain access to Century Park East.
Constellation Blvd. Partial Closure West of Avenue of the Stars through August 2020 (day and night work)*
- The contractor is proposing a 24/7 partial lane closure of Constellation Blvd. between Solar Way and Avenue of the Stars in order to expedite north side piling activities during the statewide pandemic health restrictions and major reduction in traffic.
- This traffic plan would permit only one lane of westbound traffic from Avenue of the Stars, while the other lanes are closed for construction activities on the north side of Constellation Blvd. No eastbound traffic lanes will be open during this closure. Through traffic will be detoured to Santa Monica Blvd. and Olympic Blvd.
- Local access west of Solar Way will be maintained.
- The contractor will coordinate directly with properties facing driveway impacts due to the work.
- Pedestrian access will be maintained on north side of Constellation Blvd.
- Following this work, the traffic configuration will be shifted to the south with one lane of westbound traffic remaining.
Constellation Blvd. Water Line Relocation Continues through July 2020 (day and night work)
- Relocation of the water line underneath Constellation Blvd. will continue through July 2020 between Avenue of the Stars and Solar Way.
- Work within the intersection and west of Avenue of the Stars will occur Monday to Friday from
8pm to 6am.
- Partial lane closures will be required for work within the Avenue of the Stars intersection.
- Driveways on Constellation for Westfield Mall and SunAmerica Center may be impacted during work hours from 8pm to 6am.
Assembly and Progress of Tunnel Boring Machines (day and night work)
- The first of the two tunnel boring machines (TBMs) was launched in late April and is named Harriet. She has mined approximately 100 feet east across Century Park East.
- The contractor continues assembly of the second TBM from within the launch box full closure. Launch of the second TBM, whose name is Ruth, is anticipated in July.
- Both machines will tunnel eastbound from Century City through Beverly Hills for approximately 2 years before meeting with Section 1 of the Purple Line Extension near Wilshire Blvd./La Cienega Blvd.
- Work hours are Monday through Saturday from 6am to 3am.
Constellation Blvd. Full Closure
- Closure of Constellation Blvd. between Century Park East and Avenue of the Stars has been in place 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. The closure remains in place to support the tunnel boring activity.
- At least one sidewalk will remain open on one side of the street.
- The contractor is proposing to extend the closure for 4 months through November 2020 to support the launch of both tunnel boring machines.
Work within Construction Staging Yards (day work and weekend nights)
- Setup of the construction staging yards continues within the sound walls at 1940, 1950, 2010, and
2040 Century Park East. This work includes construction of the tunnel shaft and utility installation. Work hours are Monday through Saturday, 6am to 4pm.
There will be no construction on July 4 in observance of Independence Day.
- All work has received necessary permits and approvals.
- Access to driveways, residences & businesses will be maintained at all times unless notified in advance.
- Access for pedestrians will be maintained outside of construction zones.
- Access for the Fire Department and emergency responders will be maintained.
- Parking restrictions will be implemented in the immediate area of the work zone.
- Metro 24-hour Hotline: 213.922.6934.
- Please review our construction safety tips
- Access for emergency responders will be maintained
- Construction is a dynamic process and information is subject to change without notice
For information changes to Metro service, please call 323.GoMetro or visit: https://www.metro.net/service/advisories/
More About Metro
Eat Shop Play
Support businesses located along the project alignment! Eat, Shop, Play locally during construction. For all the details, visit metro.net/eatshopplay
Business Interruption Fund
Metro's Business Interruption Fund (BIF) provides financial assistance to qualifying small “mom and pop” businesses directly impacted by construction; learn more by visiting metro.net/bif. To apply, visit Metro’s program administrator, Pacific Coast Regional Small Business Development Corporation (PCR).
Doing Business with Metro
Metro works with small businesses throughout Los Angeles County! Would you like to be one of our vendors? Visit business.metro.net for more details.