This monthly notification is an outline of construction activities for the month of January 2020. All work has received necessary permits and approvals or is pending approval. Additional notices detailing these activities will be sent by email through the Purple Line Extension, Section 2 database.
Constellation Blvd. Full Closure
- Closure of Constellation Blvd. between Century Park East and Avenue of the Stars has been in place 24 hours a day, 7 days a week since September 2018. The contractor was granted an extension of the closure through July 2020 to support the launch of the tunnel boring machines.
- Craft valet and the driveway on Constellation Blvd. for Century Park are accessible from Avenue of the Stars. The sidewalk on the south side of Constellation Blvd. remains closed until further notice. The north side sidewalk of Constellation Blvd. will remain open during construction.
Tunnel Boring Machine Assembly and Launch
- Assembly of the first tunnel boring machine (TBM) is anticipated to begin in early January 2020. Both TBMs will be launched in early 2020 and will tunnel eastbound to Beverly Hills for approximately 2 years and meet with Section 1 of the Purple Line Extension near Wilshire Blvd./La Cienega Blvd.
- Work hours are Monday through Saturday, 6am to 5pm and 7pm to 5am.
Setup of Construction Staging Yards
- Setup of the construction staging yards continues within the sound walls at 1940, 1950, 2010, and
2040 Century Park East. This work includes utility installation and horizontal drilling to check for underground obstructions. Work hours are Monday through Saturday, 6am to 5pm and 7pm to 5am.
Advance Utility Relocation on Constellation Blvd., West of Avenue of the Stars
- Department of Water and Power (LADWP) will perform cable pulling activities on Constellation Blvd. west of Avenue of the Stars behind the existing krail on the south side of the street. This work is anticipated to be completed by the end of February.
- Work takes place Monday through Friday from 9am to 4pm and 11pm to 4am, and Saturdays when necessary from 9am to 4pm. Utility work is generally not scheduled on Sundays.
Upcoming Work: Constellation Blvd. Water Line Relocation Begins March 2020
- Relocation of the water line underneath Constellation Blvd. will be required from the west edge of the current closure to approximately Solar Way. Work will be done in stages beginning east of Avenue of the Stars and will move west across the intersection towards Solar Way. Work is anticipated to begin in March 2020.
- Partial and full lane closures will be required for this work. Work within the intersection of Constellation Blvd. and Avenue of the Stars will be completed during non-peak hours or over weekend closures. Craft valet will remain accessible from Avenue of the Stars.
- Work hours are Monday through Friday as early as 8pm to 6am.
Upcoming Work: Pile Drilling on Constellation Blvd. Beginning March 2020
- Piling on Constellation Blvd. between the current full closure and of the remaining perimeter of the station box is anticipated to begin in March 2020 *.
- Work will be done in stages beginning east of Avenue of the Stars, moving west into the intersection for weekend piling, and then west of Avenue of the Stars to Solar Way.
- Lane closures will be required. One lane will be maintained in each direction in the work area. Work hours are 7 days a week, 7am to 4pm and 8pm to 6am.
- Additional construction notices will be provided prior to the start of this work.
There will be no construction activities on New Year's Day.
- All work has received necessary permits and approvals.
- Access to driveways, residences & businesses will be maintained at all times unless notified in advance.
- Access for pedestrians will be maintained outside of construction zones.
- Access for the Fire Department and emergency responders will be maintained.
- Parking restrictions will be implemented in the immediate area of the work zone.
- Metro 24-hour Hotline: 213.922.6934.
- Please review our construction safety tips
- Access for emergency responders will be maintained
- Construction is a dynamic process and information is subject to change without notice
For information changes to Metro service, please call 323.GoMetro or visit: https://www.metro.net/service/advisories/
More About Metro
Eat Shop Play
Support businesses located along the project alignment! Eat, Shop, Play locally during construction. For all the details, visit metro.net/eatshopplay
Business Interruption Fund
Metro's Business Interruption Fund (BIF) provides financial assistance to qualifying small “mom and pop” businesses directly impacted by construction; learn more by visiting metro.net/bif. To apply, visit Metro’s program administrator, Pacific Coast Regional Small Business Development Corporation (PCR).
Doing Business with Metro
Metro works with small businesses throughout Los Angeles County! Would you like to be one of our vendors? Visit business.metro.net for more details.