This monthly notification is an outline of construction activities for the month of February 2019. Additional notices detailing these activities will be sent by email through the Purple Line Extension, Section 2 database.
Setup of Construction Staging Yards
- Setup of the Construction Staging Yards continues within the soundwalls at 1940, 1950, and 2040 Century Park East continues during the weekdays during the daytime and on the weekends at night.
- This work includes the site grading and the installation of on-site drainage and utilities.
Construction of Temporary Bus Layover on Santa Monica Blvd.
- Construction of the new temporary bus layover in the median on Santa Monica Blvd. between Avenue of the Stars and Century Park East will resume in February and continue through April.
- Intermittent lane and sidewalk closures on Santa Monica Blvd. will be implemented throughout construction during off-peak hours.
- Metro bus lines 4, 704, 16, & 316 will continue to be detoured during this work.
Installation of Utility Lines for Tunnel Boring Machines
- Installation of utility lines between 2040 Century Park East and the Launch Box on Constellation Blvd. began in November 2018 and will continue through February. These utility lines are being installed to support the tunnel boring machines and operations.
- Work on Century Park East will take place weekdays between 7pm - 6am.
- Work will be limited to the intersection of Century Park East and the south side of Constellation Blvd. with intermittent changes to access.
Installation of Geotechnical Instrumentation
- Installation of geotechnical instrumentation around the Launch Box will continue in February. This instrumentation is utilized to monitor ground settlement, water levels and utilities near the Launch Box.
- Work on Century Park East will not begin until 7pm, following peak hour traffic times.
- Work may include intermittent closures of sidewalk on the north side of Constellation Blvd. Flaggers will be present to assist with pedestrian traffic when sidewalk access is impacted.
Excavation and Decking
- The contractor recently completed piling within the closure, which included using a rig to drill holes into the ground and using a crane to lift piles into the holes.
- The next steps following piling are excavation and decking. Decking is a construction process that will entail excavating Constellation Blvd. as well as the south sidewalk and replacing them with temporary concrete deck panels.
- The sidewalk on the north side of Constellation Blvd. will remain open during this portion of construction.
- Excavation and decking within the closure is anticipated to begin on February 4 and will continue for approximately 9 months. Work will occur during the day and at night.
Constellation Blvd. Closure
- Closure of Constellation Blvd. between Century Park East and Avenue of the Stars will be in place 24 hours a day/7 days a week. Additional traffic control measures have been implemented to support the closure.
- Craft valet and the driveway on Constellation Blvd. for Century Park will be accessible from Avenue of the Stars.
- Santa Monica Blvd., Avenue of the Stars, Century Park East, and Olympic Blvd. may be used as alternate routes. During the closure, public access will be prohibited to the driveway on the north side of Constellation Blvd. (behind Watt Plaza). The south sidewalk on Constellation Blvd. will be closed until further notice.
- Click here for more detailed information.
- All work has received necessary permits and approvals.
- Access to driveways, residences & businesses will be maintained at all times unless notified in advance.
- Access for pedestrians will be maintained outside of construction zones.
- Access for the Fire Department and emergency responders will be maintained.
- Parking restrictions will be implemented in the immediate area of the work zone.
- Metro 24-hour Hotline: 213.922.6934.
- Please review our construction safety tips
- Access for emergency responders will be maintained
- Construction is a dynamic process and information is subject to change without notice
For information changes to Metro service, please call 323.GoMetro or visit: https://www.metro.net/service/advisories/
More About Metro
Eat Shop Play
Support businesses located along the project alignment! Eat, Shop, Play locally during construction. For all the details, visit metro.net/eatshopplay
Business Interruption Fund
Metro's Business Interruption Fund (BIF) provides financial assistance to qualifying small “mom and pop” businesses directly impacted by construction; learn more by visiting metro.net/bif. To apply, visit Metro’s program administrator, Pacific Coast Regional Small Business Development Corporation (PCR).
Doing Business with Metro
Metro works with small businesses throughout Los Angeles County! Would you like to be one of our vendors? Visit business.metro.net for more details!