This monthly notification is an outline of construction activities for the month of August 2019. Additional notices detailing these activities will be sent by email through the Purple Line Extension, Section 2 database.
Advance Utility Relocation
- AT&T and Department of Water and Power (LADWP) will continue to perform cable pulling activities on Constellation Blvd. and Avenue of the Stars through 2019.
- Work takes place Monday through Friday from 9am to 4pm and 11pm to 4am, and Saturdays when necessary from 9am to 4pm. Utility work is generally not scheduled for Sundays, but may occur when necessary.
Setup of Construction Staging Yards
- Setup of the construction staging yards continues within the sound walls at 1940, 1950, 2010, and 2040 Century Park East. This work includes grading at 2010 Century Park East, installation of a noise barrier wall, and excavation within the tunnel access shaft.
- Work hours are Monday through Friday, 6am to 5pm and 7pm to 5am.
Completion of Temporary Bus Layover on Santa Monica Blvd.
- The design-builder has completed construction of the new temporary bus layover in the median on
Santa Monica Blvd. between Avenue of the Stars and Century Park East. Metro bus lines are anticipated to resume normal routes by mid-August.
- Metro bus lines 4, 704, 16, & 316 will resume normal routes upon turn-over to Metro.
Constellation Blvd. Full Closure
- Closure of Constellation Blvd. between Century Park East and Avenue of the Stars has been in place 24 hours a day, 7 days a week since September 2018. The 15-month closure will extend through December 2019, per the approval of the Board of Public Works.
- Craft valet and the driveway on Constellation Blvd. for Century Park is accessible from Avenue of the Stars. The sidewalk on the south side of Constellation Blvd. remains closed until further notice. The north side sidewalk of Constellation Blvd. will remain open during construction.
Excavation within Constellation Blvd. Closure
- At the end of July, excavation was at approximately 50 feet deep across the launch box. Excavation will continue to a depth of approximately 100 feet. The two tunnel boring machines (TBMs) are anticipated for launch in fall 2019 to begin tunneling for Section 2. It will take approximately 3 months for the TBMs to dig from the launch box to the staging yard on Century Park East.
- Work hours are Monday through Saturday, 6am to 4:30pm and 7pm to 5am.
- All work has received necessary permits and approvals.
- Access to driveways, residences & businesses will be maintained at all times unless notified in advance.
- Access for pedestrians will be maintained outside of construction zones.
- Access for the Fire Department and emergency responders will be maintained.
- Parking restrictions will be implemented in the immediate area of the work zone.
- Metro 24-hour Hotline: 213.922.6934.
- Please review our construction safety tips
- Access for emergency responders will be maintained
- Construction is a dynamic process and information is subject to change without notice
For information changes to Metro service, please call 323.GoMetro or visit: https://www.metro.net/service/advisories/
More About Metro
Eat Shop Play
Support businesses located along the project alignment! Eat, Shop, Play locally during construction. For all the details, visit metro.net/eatshopplay
Business Interruption Fund
Metro's Business Interruption Fund (BIF) provides financial assistance to qualifying small “mom and pop” businesses directly impacted by construction; learn more by visiting metro.net/bif. To apply, visit Metro’s program administrator, Pacific Coast Regional Small Business Development Corporation (PCR).
Doing Business with Metro
Metro works with small businesses throughout Los Angeles County! Would you like to be one of our vendors? Visit business.metro.net for more details.