This monthly notification is an outline of construction activities for the month of October 2019. Additional notices detailing these activities will be sent by email through the Purple Line Extension, Section 2 database.
Constellation Blvd. Water Line Relocation
- Relocation of the water line underneath Constellation Blvd. will be required from the west edge of the current closure to approximately Solar Way. Work will be done in stages to minimize impacts to the area and maintain traffic accessibility. Relocation will begin east of Avenue of the Stars and is anticipated to move west through the intersection in early 2020.
- Work is anticipated to begin the week of October 14 and continue through February 2020.
- Work hours are Monday through Friday, 7pm to 6am and Saturday, 7pm to 10am.
- Intermittent traffic closures will be required for this work. One lane will be maintained westbound from the Century Park driveway to Avenue of the Stars.
- Craft valet on Constellation Blvd. will remain accessible from Avenue of the Stars.
Constellation Blvd. Full Closure
- Closure of Constellation Blvd. between Century Park East and Avenue of the Stars has been in place 24 hours a day, 7 days a week since September 2018 and will continue through December 2019. The contractor is proposing to extend the closure for 7 months through July 2020 to support the launch of the tunnel boring machines.
- Craft valet and the driveway on Constellation Blvd. for Century Park are accessible from Avenue of the Stars. The sidewalk on the south side of Constellation Blvd. remains closed until further notice. The north side sidewalk of Constellation Blvd. will remain open during construction.
Excavation within Constellation Blvd. Closure
- At the end of September, excavation was at approximately 75 feet deep across the launch box. Excavation will continue to a depth of approximately 100 feet. The first tunnel boring machine (TBM) is anticipated to launch by the end of 2019. It will take approximately 3 months for the TBMs to dig from the launch box to the staging yard on Century Park East.
- Work hours are Monday through Saturday, 6am to 4:30pm and 7pm to 5am.
Setup of Construction Staging Yards
- Setup of the construction staging yards continues within the sound walls at 1940, 1950, 2010, and 2040 Century Park East. This work includes excavation within the tunnel access shaft and utility installation.
- Work hours are Monday through Friday, 6am to 5pm and 7pm to 5am.
Advance Utility Relocation
- Los Angeles Department of Water and Power (LADWP) will continue to perform cable pulling activities on Constellation Blvd., Century Park East and Avenue of the Stars through 2019.
- Work takes place Monday through Friday from 9am to 4pm and 11pm to 4am, and Saturdays when necessary from 9am to 4pm. Utility work is generally not scheduled on Sundays, but may occur when necessary.
- All work has received necessary permits and approvals.
- Access to driveways, residences & businesses will be maintained at all times unless notified in advance.
- Access for pedestrians will be maintained outside of construction zones.
- Access for the Fire Department and emergency responders will be maintained.
- Parking restrictions will be implemented in the immediate area of the work zone.
- Metro 24-hour Hotline: 213.922.6934.
- Please review our construction safety tips
- Access for emergency responders will be maintained
- Construction is a dynamic process and information is subject to change without notice
For information changes to Metro service, please call 323.GoMetro or visit: https://www.metro.net/service/advisories/
More About Metro
Eat Shop Play
Support businesses located along the project alignment! Eat, Shop, Play locally during construction. For all the details, visit metro.net/eatshopplay
Business Interruption Fund
Metro's Business Interruption Fund (BIF) provides financial assistance to qualifying small “mom and pop” businesses directly impacted by construction; learn more by visiting metro.net/bif. To apply, visit Metro’s program administrator, Pacific Coast Regional Small Business Development Corporation (PCR).
Doing Business with Metro
Metro works with small businesses throughout Los Angeles County! Would you like to be one of our vendors? Visit business.metro.net for more details.