Metro is working to connect the Purple Line Extension to the current Purple Line terminus at the Wilshire/Western station. During construction, Wilshire/Western station will remain open for operation.
To expedite decking and supporting construction activities in this very dense and heavily utilized area of Koreatown, the project will implement a 10-day extended street closure of Wilshire Bl between Manhattan Pl and Western Av from February 16-26, 2018.
By implementing the extended closure, the project anticipates reducing the number of full weekend closures by 5 weekends and reducing the number of nights worked from 21 days to 10 days.
WHAT TO EXPECT
- Friday, February 16 at 9pm: Closure of all lanes on Wilshire Bl, between Manhattan Pl and Western Av
- Monday, February 26 at 6am: Wilshire Bl opens
- Construction activities will occur 24 hours a day during the 10-day extended street closure
TRAFFIC DETOUR FOR 10-DAY EXTENDED STREET CLOSURE OF WILSHIRE BL, BETWEEN MANHATTAN PL AND WESTERN AV
- Westbound Wilshire Bl to southbound Western Av to westbound Olympic Bl to northbound Crenshaw Bl to westbound Wilshire Bl
- Eastbound Wilshire Bl to southbound Crenshaw Bl to eastbound Olympic Bl to northbound Western Av to eastbound Wilshire Bl
- Westbound Wilshire Bl will be closed at Western Av.
- Eastbound Wilshire Bl will be closed at Crenshaw Bl.
- Local access for businesses and residents is maintained on Wilshire Bl. between Crenshaw Bl and Western Av via local north/south streets. Flaggers will assist with local access to businesses adjacent to the work.
- Parking restrictions will be installed on Wilshire Bl between Crenshaw Bl and Western Av.
- The sidewalk on the north side of Wilshire Bl will be closed between Western Av and Manhattan Pl. Pedestrian access to businesses will be maintained.
- Traffic officers will be at major intersections during the closure. Temporary adjustments to signal timing, street striping, and traffic signage will be implemented.
During the 10-day extended closure, the 20 and 720 lines will not be servicing Wilshire Bl between Crenshaw Bl and Oxford Av, 720/20 buses will follow traffic detour posted above and will stop at all existing Metro bus stops along the detour route.
Metro Line 710, will take Crenshaw Bl north to Olympic Bl, Olympic Bl east to Western Av and therefore will not service Crenshaw Bl from Olympic Bl to Wilshire Bl.
The Big Blue Bus 7 line will use Olympic Blvd. rather than Wilshire Blvd. during this time.
Metro bus stops will be relocated along detour routes and published via bus operations.
Out of Service Bus Stops during 10-Day Extended Closure:
- Eastbound Wilshire Bl near side Crenshaw Bl
- Eastbound Wilshire Bl far side Crenshaw Bl
- Eastbound Wilshire Bl near side Norton Av
- Eastbound Wilshire Bl near side Wilton Pl
- Eastbound Wilshire Bl near side St Andrews Pl
- Westbound Wilshire Bl near side Western Av
- Westbound Wilshire Bl far side Western Av
- Westbound Wilshire Bl far side Manhattan Pl
- Westbound Wilshire Bl far side Wilton Pl
- Westbound Wilshire Bl near side Norton Av
Where to Catch Your Bus During 10-Day Extended Closure:
- Southbound Crenshaw Bl at Wilshire Bl
- Eastbound Wilshire Bl at Crenshaw Bl
- Eastbound and westbound Wilshire Bl at Serrano Av
For information on changes to Metro service, please call 323.GO.METRO or visit metro.net/service/advisories/bus
After decking excavation, utility hanging and jet grouting will be the next set of construction activities for the Wilshire/Western connection.
Following the 10-day extended street closure, the project anticipates partial closures of Wilshire Bl on the weekends.
Wilshire/Western Decking stats:
- 70 ft long
- 100 ft wide
- 60 ft deep
Wilshire/Western connection construction started with sewer relocation in September 2017.
To support various construction activities a work zone with concrete barriers, fencing and sound blankets has been established on the north side of Wilshire Bl between Manhattan Pl and Western Av. Extended sidewalk closures between Manhattan Pl and Western Av may be required to complete the work.
Weekday Traffic Info:
- Wilshire Bl will be reduced to two lanes in each direction between Western Av and St Andrews Pl
- Left turns will be restricted on Wilshire Bl at Western Av
- Western Av will remain open to through traffic
Weekday Work Hours:
- 6am - 10pm for major construction activities
- 10pm - 6am for support activities
Construction is a dynamic process and information is subject to change without notice. Additional closures may be necessary. Detour routes are subject to change at the discretion of the Los Angeles City Department of Transportation.
From the current terminus at Wilshire/Western, the Purple Line Extension will extend westward for about nine miles with seven new stations. Visit metro.net/purple to sign-up for construction updates and to learn more.
Support local businesses impacted by construction. Visit metro.net/eatshopplay to learn how.