WHAT IS DECKING?
The Purple Line Extension Transit Project has been engaged in construction activities along Wilshire Bl and La Cienega Bl since June 2014. Work began with advanced utility relocation (AUR), followed by major subway construction in March 2017 with pile installation. The underground piles will provide structural support for the excavation of the subway station box at Wilshire/La Cienega.
The next step following piling is decking. Decking is a construction process that entails excavating the street and sidewalks, and replacing them with temporary concrete deck panels. This will allow traffic to continue to flow, while maintaining access to sidewalks and driveways as construction continues underground.
WHERE WILL DECKING OCCUR?
In the Wilshire/La Cienega area, decking will occur on Wilshire Bl between San Vicente Bl and mid-way into the Wilshire Bl/La Cienega Bl intersection. Decking will also take place inside the Wilshire/La Cienega staging yard. The work on Wilshire Bl – excavating and placing steel beams and deck panels across the street – will occur over fifteen weekends starting Friday, October 6, 2017.
To complete decking for Phases 2 and 3, four full weekend closures are anticipated for the Wilshire Bl/La Cienega Av intersection and eleven full weekend closures are anticipated for Wilshire Bl, between San Vicente Bl and La Cienega Bl.
Sidewalk access will be maintained; however, some intermittent closures may occur depending on the nature of the work. Building access in the construction areas will be maintained.
TYPICAL WEEKEND SCHEDULE OCTOBER 2017 - EARLY 2018
- Phase 2: Full closure of Wilshire Bl/La Cienega Bl intersection (4 weekends) - COMPLETE
- Phase 3: Full closure of Wilshire Bl, between San Vicente Bl and La Cienega Bl (11 weekends)
Monday 6am: All streets open
WHAT TO EXPECT
- Thru the weekend, work will occur 24/7
- Decking will require approximately 15 full weekend closures
- Metro buses are anticipated to follow Phase 2 and Phase 3 traffic detours
- Metro bus stops may be relocated, for information changes to Metro service, please call 323.GoMetro or visit: metro.net/service/advisories/bus
PHASE 3: WILSHIRE BL, BETWEEN LA CIENEGA BL AND SAN VICENTE BL DETOUR (WESTBOUND/EASTBOUND)
TRAFFIC & BUS DETOURS
Westbound Wilshire Bl to Northbound San Vicente Bl to Westbound Burton Wy to Southbound Robertson Bl to Westbound Wilshire Bl
Eastbound Wilshire Bl to Northbound Robertson Bl to Eastbound Burton Wy to Southbound San Vicente Bl to Eastbound Wilshire Bl
- Local access on Wilshire Bl for business and residents will be maintained
- La Cienega Bl will remain open
In the work zone, full closure Wilshire Bl starting at 8pm on Fridays until Mondays at 6am
WILSHIRE/LA CIENEGA STATION STATS
- 990 ft long
- 70 ft wide
- 60 ft deep
Construction is a dynamic process and information is subject to change without notice. Detour routes are subject to change at the discretion of the Department of Transportation and the City of Beverly Hills.