We've listened. We've heard you. We’re taking action.
We are moving forward with taking the NextGen Regional Service Concept to the Metro Board of Directors for review on July 25, 2019. The Regional Service Concept was developed through consideration of both technical data and all the priorities and personal experiences we heard from nearly 20,000 LA County residents through questionnaires and 260+ meetings, events, presentations and workshops. Together with your comments, the Regional Service Concept is guiding the NextGen bus service planners as they examine every Metro bus line and bus stop to determine the best system redesign possible.
To learn more about each step of the NextGen journey, check out Metro’s Bus Story .
What is the Regional Service Concept?
The Regional Service Concept defines the goals and objectives of the new bus network, and includes:
- Measurements of success
- Route and network design concepts based on public input and data analysis
- A framework for balancing tradeoffs
- Metro’s Equity Platform considerations
So, what is the NextGen Bus Study?
Metro is designing a modern, more useful bus network. It’s time for a better bus system that fits your lifestyle, integrates with all the ways you travel throughout LA County, and gets you where you need and want to go, with flexibility for the future.
The objective of the bus study is to:
- Understand transit market demand in LA County
- Study the agency’s current bus system and how well it serves current and potential customers
- Recommend how best to reimagine the system to be more relevant to what people need today
- Maximize use of existing service hours and assess need for additional adjustments
Why are we doing this?
Our current bus network carries over 70% of Metro’s customers but hasn’t had a significant update in 25 years. Since then, LA County has grown and evolved dramatically, and so has transportation. We’ve added over a million residents, many local communities have transformed, there are more places to go and travel patterns have changed. The study will design a bus system that improves service and connections throughout LA County.