Approximately 110,000 passenger trips are made through LAUS each weekday. Forecasted population and employment growth will create additional demand on bus and rail resulting in over 200,000 passenger trips through LAUS each weekday by 2040, not including trips from the future California HSR services.
Link US enables LAUS to accommodate future demands by increasing peak capacity, improving regional rail connectivity, and providing connections to more transportation options. Link US will also provide an improved passenger experience by reducing travel times and improving access and circulation, while potentially reducing greenhouse gas emissions from idling trains.
Anticipated Project benefits include:
- Improved state and intercity connectivity with High Speed Rail; Metrolink, Amtrak, and Metro rail; Metro and municipal bus systems; and ridesharing platforms
- Improved regional connectivity with one seat rides to key destinations in Southern California
- Increased rail service capacity to accommodate future demand
- Reduced train idling times to less than 5 minutes resulting in shorter waiting times, fuel savings, and emissions reductions
- Creation of future retail and transit-serving amenities and other transit-oriented development
- Generation of 4,500 new jobs per year during five-year construction period
- Enhanced passenger experience with new concourse, retail and other amenities and new expanded platforms
- Improved pedestrian access with enhanced mobility options and safety features
- Improved US-101 and local roadways