Taylor Yard is a 242-acre former rail yard site located on the Los Angeles River, just north of Elysian Park and the I-5/Arroyo Seco Parkway intersection. Metro owns or has operating rights to approximately 76.5 acres of Taylor Yard and is developing 17.75 acres into a mixed-use neighborhood with developers McCormack Baron Salazar and LA Urban Homes. Metro’s 17.75 acres is being developed as seven separate projects on subdivided lots in seven distinct phases, all held together by roadways and open space, as indicated below. As currently contemplated, this community will include 95 market-rate condominiums, 305 affordable apartments, and 24,980 square feet of retail space. Currently, five of the projects are complete, and two have yet to start construction. Each project is being constructed and operated by the developers under separate ground leases with Metro.
Project Site Information
- Site Map
- Satellite Map
- Acres: 17.75
- Jurisdiction: City of Los Angeles
- Lot 1: 1.6 acres, 87 affordable apartments for families
- Lot 2A: 3.4 acres, 54 for-sale condominiums
- Lot 2B: 1.4 acres, 42 affordable apartments for families
- Lot 3: 1.8 acres, 68 affordable apartments for families
- Lot 4: 1.9 acres, 41 for-sale condominiums
- Lot 5: 1.8 acres, 108 affordable apartments for seniors and 8,290 square feet of retail
- Lots 6-8: 3.6 acres, private road, infrastructure, and open space
- Lot 9: 0.75 acres, 16,690 square feet of retail (subject to ongoing analysis and outreach regarding the proper development scope for this site that will start with an analysis and evaluation of the viability of retail use)
- Dedication Area: 1.5 acres, widening of San Fernando Rd. and Extension of Arvia St.
The Taylor Yard Joint Development sites are at different phases of development. Below are the latest updates.
- Lot 2B: During the 2nd quarter of 2019, McCormack Baron Salazar, the developer of Lot 2B, submitted an application for an allocation of tax credits for the project to the State. Tax credits are a key financing source for affordable housing projects. The developer expects to hear back from the State in September 2019 regarding their request. This lot is not yet under ground lease. Execution of a ground lease and commencement of construction should occur prior to the end of the first quarter of 2020, once design review is complete and project financing is secured.
- Lot 9: This lot is under ground lease to Taylor Yard Commercial, LLC, a McCormack Baron Salazar development entity. In March 2019, the Metro Board authorized an amendment the ground lease, which, among other things, contemplated changing Lot 9’s scope of development from a 16,690 square foot retail project to an approximately 56 unit affordable housing project. Following the March 2019 Board meeting, staff received numerous comments from the community that were critical of the proposed change in development scope and Metro’s lack of community outreach prior to the Metro Board’s action. After consideration of the community’s concerns and other input received from the area’s elected representatives, staff has elected not to move forward with the ground lease amendment. Instead, Metro and the developer will conduct community outreach to help determine the proper development scope for Lot 9. This effort will start in the third quarter of 2019 with an analysis and evaluation of the viability of retail use at the site.
- Lot 1: This project is complete and occupied. The lot is under ground lease to Rio Visa Apts, L.P., a McCormack Baron Salazar development entity.
- Lot 2A: This project is complete and all condominiums have been sold by the developer, LA Urban Homes. The lot is under ground lease to TY Taylor 55 Owners Association, this project’s homeowner’s association.
- Lot 3: This project is complete and occupied. The lot is under ground lease to Taylor Yard, L.P., a McCormack Baron Salazar development entity.
- Lot 4: This project is complete and all condominiums have been sold by the developer, LA Urban Homes. The lot is under ground lease to TY Taylor 41 Owners Association, this project’s homeowner’s association.
- Lot 5: This project is complete and its apartments are occupied, but the retail component is still available for lease. Parties interested in the retail space should contact Daniel Falcon, Jr. at 213.236.2680 or at Daniel.Falcon@McCormackBaron.com . The lot is under ground lease to Taylor Yard Senior Housing, L.P., a McCormack Baron Salazar development entity
- Lots 6-8: Infrastructure and open space improvements are complete, except for one park area being used for construction staging. The lots are under ground lease to Taylor Yard Master Association.
- Dedication Area: The dedications, roadway, and infrastructure improvements in this area are complete.
Metro welcomes your input on the Joint Development efforts. Please share your thoughts and comments in the form below: