Taylor Yard is a 242-acre former rail yard site located on the Los Angeles River, just north of Elysian Park and the I-5/Arroyo Seco Parkway intersection. Metro owns or has operating rights to approximately 76.5 acres of Taylor Yard and is developing 17.75 acres into a mixed-use neighborhood with developers McCormack Baron Salazar and LA Urban Homes. Metro’s 17.75 acres is being developed as seven separate projects on seven subdivided lots in seven distinct phases, all held together by roadways and open space, as indicated below. When complete, this community will include 95 market-rate condominiums, 361 affordable apartments, and 8,290 square feet of retail space. Currently, five of the projects are complete, and two have yet to start construction. Each project is being constructed and operated by the developers under separate ground leases with Metro.
Project Site Information
- Site Map
- Satellite Map
- Acres: 17.75
- Jurisdiction: City of Los Angeles
- Lot 1: 1.6 acres, 87 affordable apartments for families
- Lot 2A: 3.4 acres, 54 for-sale condominiums
- Lot 2B: 1.4 acres, 42 affordable apartments for families
- Lot 3: 1.8 acres, 68 affordable apartments for families
- Lot 4: 1.9 acres, 41 for-sale condominiums
- Lot 5: 1.8 acres, 108 affordable apartments for seniors and 8,290 square feet of retail
- Lots 6-8: 3.6 acres, private road, infrastructure, and open space
- Lot 9: 0.75 acres, 56 affordable apartments
- Dedication Area: 1.5 acres, widening of San Fernando Rd. and Extension of Arvia St.
The Taylor Yard Joint Development sites are at different phases of development. Below are the latest updates.
- Lot 2B: This lot is not yet under ground lease. Execution of a ground lease and commencement of construction should occur prior to the end of the first quarter of 2020, once design review is complete and project financing is secured.
- Lot 9: This lot is under ground lease to Taylor Yard Commercial, LLC, a McCormack Baron Salazar development entity. In March, the Metro board of directors approved an amendment to the ground lease. Among other things the proposed amendment will change the scope of development for this lot to an approximately 56 unit affordable housing project (from a 16,690 square foot retail project), and extend the deadline for construction commencement to April 1, 2022 (with the ability to further extend this deadline to April 1 2024), and extend the ground lease term to accommodate affordable housing financing requirements. Further details regarding these changes can be found in the Board Report . Project construction is expected to begin prior to April 1, 2022, once project entitlements are awarded, design review is complete and project financing is secured.
- Lot 1: This project is complete and occupied. The lot is under ground lease to Rio Visa Apts, L.P., a McCormack Baron Salazar development entity.
- Lot 2A: This project is complete and all condominiums have been sold by the developer, LA Urban Homes. The lot is under ground lease to TY Taylor 55 Owners Association, this project’s homeowner’s association.
- Lot 3: This project is complete and occupied. The lot is under ground lease to Taylor Yard, L.P., a McCormack Baron Salazar development entity.
- Lot 4: This project is complete and all condominiums have been sold by the developer, LA Urban Homes. The lot is under ground lease to TY Taylor 41 Owners Association, this project’s homeowner’s association.
- Lot 5: This project is complete and its apartments are occupied, but the retail component is still available for lease. Parties interested in the retail space should contact Daniel Falcon, Jr. at 213.236.2680 or at Daniel.Falcon@McCormackBaron.com . The lot is under ground lease to Taylor Yard Senior Housing, L.P., a McCormack Baron Salazar development entity
- Lots 6-8: Infrastructure and open space improvements are complete, except for one park area being used for construction staging. The lots are under ground lease to Taylor Yard Master Association.
- Dedication Area: The dedications, roadway, and infrastructure improvements in this area are complete.
Metro welcomes your input on the Joint Development efforts. Please share your thoughts and comments in the form below: