Emilie Elias received her bachelor’s degree from the University of California at Berkeley. She then attended the University of Southern California, School of Law, where she was a member of the Law Review.
Upon her admission to the California Bar, she began a private practice in the South Bay Area of Los Angeles County.
After a number of years of practice, she applied to be a Commissioner for the Los Angeles Superior Court. She was selected as a commissioner and served in that capacity until her appointment from the Governor as a Judge of the Los Angeles Superior Court. At the time of her retirement she was the Supervising Judge of the Complex Civil Department of the Los Angeles Court.
She has served on the Judicial Council, State of California. She has also served on the Boards of legal organizations and has received awards from several Bar Associations.
Los Angeles Superior Court:
- Judge, Superior Court of California, County of Los Angeles, 2000-2016.
- Direct Calendar Civil ("Fast Track") Department, 1993-2005.
- Complex Civil Panel, 2005-2016.
- Assistant Supervising Judge for Civil, Complex Department, 2011-2016.
- Judicial Council Coordination Motion Judge for Asbestos Litigation, 2011-2016.
- Founding Member of JES- Los Angeles Superior Court Education Programs, 2010-2016.
- Chair of JES, 2011-2016.
- Commissioner, Superior Court of California, County of Los Angeles, 1989-2000.
- University of California, B.A.
University of Southern California Law School, J.D.
Associate Editor, Law Review
Judicial Council of California:
- Member, Judicial Council of California, 2012-2016
- Member, CJER Continuing Judicial Studies Program Planning Committee
- Member, CJER Governing Committee
- Member, Judicial Council Civil & Small Claims Advisory Committee
- Member, RUPRO Committee
- Member, technology committee
- Member, Trial Court Funding Working Group
- Orientation for Experienced Civil Law Judges
- Continuing Judicial Studies Program
- CJER Civil Law Institute
- CJER Computer Course
- CJER Civil Law Orientation
- New Judge Orientation
- B. E. Witkin Judicial College of California
Law School Faculty:
- Loyola Law School Adjunct professor, 1993-1996
- University of Southern California Instructor, Graduate School of Business, 1975
- South Bay Bar Association: President 1988
- Los Angeles County Bar Association, Litigation Section: Bd member
- Association of Business Trial Lawyers: Bd member
- Consumer Attorneys of Los Angeles, Trial Judge of the Year, 2001
- ABOTA, Civility Award, 2011
- Constitutional Rights Foundation, Judge of the year
Community Activities prior to becoming a judicial officer:
- UCLA Harbor General, member Institution Review Board
- Palos Verdes Unified School District, Long Range Planning Committee, Sub-committee Chair
- Palos Verdes Unified School District, Transportation Committee
- Torrance Memorial Hospital, Institution Review Board, Member