ECSD is the agency authority on issues related to water quality and usage, fuel, energy, and waste. The department actively works to minimize potential environmental impacts resulting from the planning, construction and operation of one of the largest and fastest growing transportation systems in the nation.
- Environmental Management System: Metro’s Red and Purple Line rail yard recently became the first major rail maintenance facility in the nation to receive ISO 14001 Certification for its environmental management system (EMS). The agency is in the process of implementing EMS agency-wide over the next several years.
- Energy Efficient Buildings: Five buildings have been certified to Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) Silver or higher including Metro headquarters and several transportation and maintenance buildings. We have committed to build all new buildings over 10,000 square feet to LEED Silver standard into the future.
- Sustainability/Environmental Training: ECSD develops environmental and sustainability training for Metro employees and offers this training through the Environmental Institute.
- Storm Water and Industrial Wastewater: We oversee the development of Storm Water Pollution Prevention Plans (SWPPP) and, as required, Standard Urban Stormwater Mitigation Plans (SUSMP) for facilities, construction sites, storage areas, and all Metro property. We prepare and maintain all stormwater and industrial wastewater permits agency-wide.
We also provide site remediation support for Metro owned properties including:
- Groundwater Contamination/Remediation
- Soil Remediation/Removal
- Lead/Asbestos Analysis and Abatement
- Green Construction Initiative: Metro is committed to using greener, less polluting construction equipment and vehicles, and will implement best practices to reduce harmful emissions in all construction projects performed on Metro properties and rights-of-way . We are assisting the region to consider the use of such types of equipment by providing important and relevant green construction equipment-related information .