In September 2011, the Metro Board of Directors adopted the Crenshaw/LAX Transit Corridor Project. The 8.5 mile alignment includes six stations and runs from the Metro Exposition Line at Crenshaw and Exposition to the Metro Green Line Aviation/LAX Station. The project was approved without a station at that location. The stations closest to Westchester are La Brea Station to the east and Aviation/Century Station to the southwest.
In December 2011, the Metro Board of Directors adopted a motion to include an optional Westchester Station at Hindry Av in the procurement documents for the Crenshaw/LAX Transit Corridor. Proposers will price the optional station in their proposal. The cost of the optional station will be evaluated as part of the total contract price proposal and must allow for, building a station or station shell at Leimert Park and a station at Hindry Av within the original life-of-project budget of $1.749 billion. If the options exceed the project budget, neither station option will be included in the project.
At A Glance
- The current optional station is just north and west of Hindry Av along the Metro-owned Harbor-Subdivision that parallels Florence Av
- The optional station is at-grade without parking facilities
- Per the Metro Board of Directors motion dated December 15, 2011, “The Hindry Station in Westchester is contingent upon the underground Leimert Park Station at Vernon being constructed.”
- Bid option will be procured as part of the Crenshaw/LAX Transit Corridor Project
The Metro Board of Directors will consider the contractor’s price and technical proposals in the Fall of 2012.
Proposal evaluations will determine if the options will fall within the $1.749 billion life-of-project budget. Ultimately, one of the following approaches will be implemented:
- A Westchester Station will be built at Hindry Av
- No Westchester Station will be built at Hindry Av
Final environmental documents can be found at www.metro.net/crenshaw