In September 2011, the Metro Board of Directors adopted the Crenshaw/LAX Transit Corridor Project . The 8.5 mile alignment includes six stations and runs from the Metro Expo Line at Crenshaw and Exposition to the Metro Green Line Aviation/LAX Station. The project was approved without a station at that location. The stations closest to Leimert Park are Martin Luther King Station to the north and Slauson Av Station to the south on Crenshaw Bl.
In May 2011, the Metro Board of Directors adopted a motion to include an optional Vernon Station at Leimert Park in the procurement documents for the Crenshaw/ LAX Transit. Proposers will price the optional station in their proposal to: 1) add a complete station; or 2) add an unﬁnished station shell for completion at a future date. The cost of the optional station will be evaluated as part of the total contract price proposal and must allow for either station option's bid proposal to be within the life-of-project budget of $1.749 billion. If the options exceed the project budget, neither station option will be included in the project.
Staff is concurrently seeking non-Metro alternative funding sources in the event the contractor's price proposals exceed the project budget for the options. An application was recently submitted for funding under the TIGER Discretionary Grant Program for this and other Metro priorities.
At A Glance
- The current optional station location is just north of 43rd Pl
- The optional station will be underground without parking facilities
- The optional station portal opens to Leimert Park Village at Vernon Av
- Station options will be procured as part of the Crenshaw/LAX Transit Corridor Project
The Metro Board of Directors will consider the contractor's price and technical proposals in the Fall of 2012.
Proposal evaluations will determine if either option is equal to or less than the $1.749 billion life of project budget. Ultimately, one of the following approaches will be implemented:
- Vernon Station at Leimert Park will be built
- Vernon Station shell at Leimert Park will be built
- No station or shell will be built at Leimert Park
Final environmental documents can be found at www.metro.net/crenshaw