The Regional Connector is a rail extension that will connect the Metro A (Blue), L (Gold) and E (Expo) Lines with three new stations in downtown Los Angeles.
Downtown LA Street Closures
Street restoration for the Regional Connector Transit Project continues as Metro builds three new underground stations in downtown Los Angeles. When completed in 2022, the underground light rail system will allow continuous travel between Azusa and Long Beach, and between East Los Angeles and Santa Monica, connecting Metro L, E and A Lines (Gold, Expo and Blue) with a one-seat ride.
Before we achieve the reduction of transfers this project will create, crews will first remove the temporary deck panels to build the tunnel box roof and restore the street, connecting the tunnel alignment to the existing L Line (Gold) tracks.
Street restoration efforts will continue throughout the alignment in calendar years 2020 and 2021 at the following locations:
Historic Broadway Station
- 2nd St from Broadway to Spring St
- Lane reductions on Broadway and Spring St, ongoing to June 2021
- Occasional weekend intersection closures: Broadway, Spring St
Grand Av Arts/Bunker Hill Station
- Hope St from 2nd St to 3rd St
- March 19, 2021 through Summer 2021
Flower St deck removal weekend closures
- Flower St from 4th St to 5th St
- Ongoing to March 5, 2022, Fridays 7pm to Mondays 5am
Alameda tunnel box construction & L Line (Gold) Service Interruption: October 24, 2020 through Fall 2022 with the following configurations:
- Alameda St from 1st St to Commercial St
- Temple St from Alameda St to Garey St
- Winter 2021 to Summer 2021
L Line (Gold) Service Interruption:
- Little Tokyo/Arts District Station closure
- Free L Line (Gold) shuttle: Union Station to Little Tokyo/Arts District Station and Pico/Aliso Station
Plan ahead and use alternate routes when traveling through downtown Los Angeles.