Improving Mobility in Downtown LA
Metro and the City of Los Angeles are partnering to improve 5th St and 6th St in downtown LA to enhance mobility and safety for the thousands of people who walk, bike, roll, ride transit or drive in the area. This project is an important step in building a comprehensive, multimodal transit network in downtown LA.
This project is located along 5th St and 6th St in downtown LA, between Flower St on the west and Central Av on the east. Road improvements and bus lanes will span the entire corridor. Protected bike lanes will run from Spring St to Central Av.
Phase 1 (June–July 2020)
- Pre-construction activities
- Repave and restripe 5th Street and 6th Street
- Activate bus-only lane on westbound 5th Street from Central Avenue to mid-block pedestrian crossing signal (roughly 400 feet east of Flower Street)
- Activate bus-only lane on eastbound 6th Street from Hope Street to Central Avenue
Phase 2 (tentatively April 2021)
- Extend bus-only lane on westbound 5th Street from mid-block to Flower Street
- Install signal queue jumper for buses on 5th Street at Flower Street