- April 28, 2015
- “Bike Week L.A” Coming to Los Angeles County May 10-16
The Los Angeles County Metropolitan Transportation Authority (Metro) is sponsoring “Bike Week LA” activities from May 10-16 to encourage L.A. County residents to ride bicycles to work, school and other destinations to help reduce traffic and air pollution. Metro is connecting bikes to bus and rail with 500 free 7-Day TAP pass giveaways and unlimited free rides for people who bring a bicycle or bicycle helmet on Metro buses and trains on Bike to Work Day, May 14.
- Keywords: Bike Week, Bike Metro
- April 23, 2015
- Closure at Crenshaw Boulevard between Exposition Boulevard and Coliseum Street Extended Three Weeks
Redondo Boulevard at Florence Avenue to permanently close beginning May 1
Due to unforeseen soil conditions, Walsh/Shea Corridor Constructors (WSCC) has extended the current closure on Crenshaw Boulevard between Exposition Boulevard and Coliseum Street for the next three weeks to continue excavation and installation of jet-grout panels for the Crenshaw/LAX Transit Project underground station.
- Keywords: crenshaw/lax; street closures
- April 22, 2015
- Metro Highlights Initiatives for Sustainable Transportation & Urges Public to Go Green by Going Car-Free for Earth Day 2015
Five all-electric, zero-emissions buses are ready for testing; a new biomethane fuel program will reduce current bus fleet’s low emissions by 78 percent
Metro officials today celebrated Earth Day at Metro’s Central Maintenance Facility by dumping 4,800 lbs. of waste to represent the amount of carbon emissions reduced from the air when an individual takes public transit instead of driving for a year. With Metro’s first zero-emission, all-electric bus manufactured by BYD Inc. as the backdrop, speakers highlighted the agency’s sustainability initiatives including a new biomethane fuel program.
- Keywords: Earth Day, electric bus, sustainability
- April 16, 2015
- Metro Art Presents Rush Hour Reading in Honor of National Poetry Month at Union Station Apr. 28
Enjoy a little “poetry in motion” at Union Station on Tuesday, Apr. 28! In collaboration with the Poetry Society of America, Metro Art will bring Los Angeles-based poets Kate Gale, Robin Coste Lewis, 2012 Los Angeles Poet Laureate Eloise Klein Healy and Los Angeles Poet Laureate Luis Rodriguez for Metro Presents: Rush Hour Reading. The free event celebrates National Poetry Month, which marks the importance of poetry in our culture and everyday lives.
- Keywords: Metro Art, National Poetry Month
- April 16, 2015
- Metro Attacks Sexual Harassment With “Off Limits” Public Information and Enforcement Campaign
Declaring that sexual harassment is “off limits,” the Los Angeles County Metropolitan Transportation Authority (Metro) and the sexual and domestic violence prevention center, Peace Over Violence, today launch a multi-faceted campaign to stop harassment on Metro buses and trains.
- Keywords: sexual harassment, safety, Transit Watch
- April 10, 2015
- L.A. Transportation Stakeholders Stand Up 4 Transportation, Call Upon Congress to Renew Investment in Los Angeles County’s Transportation Infrastructure
L.A. area transportation stakeholders join more than 300 organizations and community groups throughout the U.S. to call for action as expiration of Federal Transportation Bill approaches on May 31
- Keywords: stand up 4 transportation
- April 07, 2015
- Tree Removal to Begin for Utility Installation and Road Widening Work on the Regional Connector Light Rail Line
Regional Connector Constructors (RCC) under contract to Metro will remove seven trees along 1st Street between Alameda and Vignes streets anticipated to take place on April 15 and 16 in preparation for a new utility line and roadway widening as part of the Regional Connector light rail project in downtown Los Angeles.
- Keywords: tree removal, regional connector, little tokyo
- April 07, 2015
- Five Miles of New Bus Lanes to Open on Wilshire Boulevard
Phase Two Grand Opening of Project Designed to Shorten Commutes
Bus riders on one of the busiest traffic corridors will enjoy a faster commute when the second phase of peak hour bus lanes on Wilshire Boulevard open at 7 a.m. on Wednesday, April 8.
- Keywords: bus lanes, Wilshire BRT
- April 06, 2015
- Metro Pilot Program Strives to Provide Financial, Other Support To Small Businesses Working Hard to Combat Impact of Rail Construction
Los Angeles Mayor and Metro Board Chair Eric Garcetti, along with Metro Board members Los Angeles County Supervisor Mark Ridley-Thomas and Jacquelyn Dupont-Walker, delivered checks totaling $66,310 to four small business owners impacted by construction of the expanding Metro Rail system.
- Keywords: crenshaw/lax; small business