- July 31, 2013
- Transit Mall Station of Metro Blue Line Renamed Downtown Long Beach Station
The Metro Blue Line Transit Mall Station in Long Beach has been renamed Downtown Long Beach Station to more clearly reflect the location. The name change was recently approved by Metro's Board of Directors at their July meeting.
- Keywords: Downtown Long Beach, station renaming, Transit Mall, Blue Line
- July 30, 2013
- Metrolink to Double Antelope Valley Sunday Service
Change Designed to Improve Connectivity with Orange, San Diego and San Bernardino counties
Twice as many Metrolink trains will provide Sunday service on the Antelope Valley line beginning Aug. 17 with an increase from six to 12 trains, officials of the regional commuter rail service announced today. The service enhancement is designed to improve connectivity with trains going to and from Orange, San Bernardino and San Diego counties. The additional service is funded by the Los Angeles County Metropolitan Transportation Authority (Metro).
- Keywords: Metrolink, Antelope Valley, train service
- July 30, 2013
- Metro Extending Late Night Service on All Rail Lines for HARD Summer Music Festival
August is just around the corner and so is LA's biggest electronic music festival HARD Summer. The 6th annual music event will take place Saturday, August 3 and Sunday, August 4 at the Los Angeles Historic Park, minutes away from the Gold Line Chinatown Station.
- Keywords: Hard Summer, Los Angeles State Historic Park, Chinatown, Metro Rail, Gold Line
- July 29, 2013
- Northbound I-405 Off-ramp to Sunset Boulevard to close for 120 Days Starting Aug. 3
The I-405 Sepulveda Pass Improvements Project contractor is scheduled to begin a 120-day closure of the northbound I-405 off-ramp to Sunset Boulevard in West Los Angeles beginning August 3, 2013.
- Keywords: Northbound I-405 Off-ramp Sunset Boulevard closed 120 days
- July 24, 2013
- Metro Extending Late Night Service for the Justin Timberlake/Jay-Z Concert Sunday, July 28
Sunday, July 28 will boast nearly 60,000 fans to the Rose Bowl for the highly anticipated Justin Timberlake and Jay-Z Legends of the Summer tour. Because of this, considerable traffic, congested streets and limited parking are expected around the stadium. But Metro is extending its rail lines until early in the following morning to make it easier for fans to get to the concert.
- Keywords: Rose Bowl shuttle, Rose Bowl, concerts, late night Metro Rail
- July 23, 2013
- L.A. Metro to hold new community workshop for Union Station Master Plan August 1
The Los Angeles County Metropolitan Transportation Authority (Metro) will hold a community workshop in Downtown L.A. on Thursday, August 1, 2013 to provide an update on the L.A. Union Station Master Plan, and invites public participation and comment.
- Keywords: L.A. Metro new community workshop Union Station Master Plan
- July 15, 2013
- Metro Responds to Regional Connector Legal Challenges
Downtown L.A. property owners Japanese Village Plaza, Bonaventure Hotel and Thomas Properties Group filed separate lawsuits against Metro last year claiming that Metro's Environmental Impact Statement/Environmental Impact Report (EIS/EIR) for the Regional Connector Project does not satisfy the California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA) or the National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA). CEQA requires state and local agencies to identify the significant environmental impacts of their actions and, if feasible, avoid or mitigate those impacts.
- Keywords: Regional Connector, EIR, CEQA
- July 12, 2013
- Metro Board Member Pam O'Connor Becomes Chair of the Exposition Line Construction Authority
Santa Monica Mayor and Metro Board Member Pam O'Connor has become new chair of the Exposition Metro Line Construction Authority Board of Directors, which is overseeing construction of the 15-mile light-rail line between downtown Los Angeles and Santa Monica. Newly elected L.A. City Council Member Mike Bonin is the new vice chair.
- Keywords: Metro Board of Directors, Expo Line
- July 11, 2013
- L.A. Metro, Office of Traffic Safety Partner to Offer Bicycle Traffic Safety Classes for Los Angeles County
In efforts to help make bicycling safer in L.A. County, the Los Angeles County Metropolitan Transportation Authority (Metro) has received a California Office of Traffic Safety (OTS) grant and is working with local non-profit bike organizations to conduct up to120 English and Spanish traffic skills classes countywide.
- Keywords: L.A. Metro, Office of Traffic Safety classes
- July 09, 2013
- Free Screening of 'Chinatown' Inside Metro’s Historic Los Angeles Union Station on Saturday, July 20
For the first time ever, Metro and Downtown Film Festival L.A. will host a free public screening of the Oscar-winning 1974 neo-noir film Chinatown at historic Union Station on Saturday, July 20. The movie has long been hailed as one the greatest films of all time and one of the defining movies of Los Angeles, so don't miss the chance to see it in the gorgeous atmospheric setting of Union Station's old ticketing concourse.
- Keywords: movie screenings, destination discounts, Union Station, 75th anniversary, Metro Art
- July 08, 2013
- Metro and Caltrans Hold Public Meetings on High Desert Corridor (HDC) Project
Project May Feature a Highway, a Bikeway and High Speed Rail
The Los Angeles County Metropolitan Transportation Authority (Metro) and Caltrans is holding a series of four public meetings to provide information and seek comment on a proposed new transportation corridor linking Palmdale and Victorville.
- Keywords: HDC, High Desert Corridor, public meetings
- July 08, 2013
- Gateway Cities Service Council to Receive Public Comment on Proposed Blue Line Station Renaming
The Metro Gateway Cities Service Council will receive a presentation, and accept public comment, on the potential renaming of the Blue Line 'Transit Mall' Station to the 'Downtown Long Beach Station.' The Service Council meeting will be held at 2 p.m. on Thursday, July 11 at Salt Lake Park Community Center, located at 3401 East Florence Avenue in Huntington Park.
- Keywords: Metro Service Councils, Long Beach Transit Mall, station renaming, public comment
- July 03, 2013
- Metro to Reconstruct Entrance to the South Pasadena Gold Line Platform
Metro will begin on Monday, July 8, to rebuild a new ADA-compliant access ramp to replace existing stairs on the southbound platform of the Metro Gold Line South Pasadena Station. Access to the platform will continue during construction for patrons traveling to Union Station. The work is expected to be completed by the end of September, 2013.
- Keywords: South Pasadena, Gold Line, ADA compliance
- July 03, 2013
- Metro to Hold SR-710 North Environmental Study “All Communities Convening” Information Sessions on July 18, July 20, July 23
The Los Angeles County Metropolitan Transportation Authority (Metro) will hold three "All Communities Convening" Information Sessions as part of the Alternative Analysis of the SR-710 North Environmental Study. The information sessions will be held on the following dates:
- Keywords: SR-710 North Study, community meetings
- July 02, 2013
- Summer Metro Motion Celebrates the Season with a Bus and Then a Bike Ride Along the Beautiful Pacific
Metro Motion, Metro's popular quarterly cable television show, has just been released. This edition celebrates summer with a breathtaking ride along the beautiful Pacific. All we need to do is take the Metro Rapid 720 to Santa Monica, hop on a bike and pedal the South Bay Beach Trail all the way to Redondo Beach. It's a great bike path -- partially funded by Metro -- and the perfect highway for a gorgeous sea-side excursion.
- Keywords: destination discounts, metro motion, summer, gate latching, bike paths
- July 02, 2013
- Metro to operate on holiday schedule Thursday, July 4 in observance of Independence Day
All Metro operated buses and Metro Rail trains will operate on a Sunday schedule on Thursday, July 4, in observance of Independence Day.
- Keywords: Sunday schedule Thursday July 4
- July 01, 2013
- City of Lakewood Councilmember Diane DuBois Becomes New Chair of L.A. County Metropolitan Transportation Authority Board of Directors
City of Lakewood Councilmember Diane DuBois has taken over as chair of Metro's Board of Directors, effective July 1. She replaces outgoing Board Chairman Los Angeles County Supervisor Michael D. Antonovich.
- Keywords: diane dubois, Metro board chair