- This event has passed.
Bike Share 101: Bike Safety Basics – Online Video Class presented by BEST
May 13 @ 5:00 pm - 6:30 pm
About this event
May is Bike Month! Are you interested in using Metro Bike Share and learning more about staying safe on the road? The BEST Bike Share 101: Bike Safety Basics class, presented by Metro, Metro Bike Share, and LA County Bicycle Coalition, is a 1.5-hour virtual session (via Zoom) designed to introduce the Bike Share system and important safety guidance. All attendees who complete this course will receive a code for a FREE 30-Day Metro Bike Share Pass redeemable at any time. You can redeem this code online at metro.net/bikeshare or in the Metro Bike Share app.
Participants who complete a class feedback survey will be mailed a FREE pre-loaded single trip TAP card and additional Metro-branded goodies (shipping limited to addresses in LA County).
Attendees are encouraged to participate from the comfort and safety of your own homes while we are all doing our part to practice social distancing while staying connected to one another. Once you are registered, we will be sending you information on how to join the class online.
Class size is limited. Pre-registration is required to guarantee a minimum number of participants. Register now to guarantee your spot! Once you are registered, we will send you a confirmation email and more info on how to join the class online.
Check out these other Bike Month events:
Virtual Classes (English)
- Bicycling 101: Rules of the Road (May 9)
- Bike Maintenance: Fix-A-Flat (May 12)
- Bike Share 101: Safety Basics (May 13)
- Bicycling 101: Rules of the Road for Night Riding (May 26)
- Experience the El Monte Emerald Necklace (May 7)
- Walk Bike Glendale Ride with Mayor Kassakhian (May 14)
- Bike Share to the Beach – Santa Monica/Venice (May 14)
- Bike to Work Day Lunch Ride – Chinatown (May 19)
- Green Book History in South LA (May 21)
- E-Bike 101 Ride – El Monte (May 22)
Who Should Sign-Up:
If you know how to ride a bike, but may be uncomfortable using a bike for everyday travel or recreation. This class covers bike safety basics and route planning with an engaging and interactive presentation.
What You’ll Learn:
- What I Need to Bike: Helmet Fit / Lights / Locks
- Intro to Bike Share System: Using the App / Finding Docks and Stations / Locking and Returning
- Staying Safe: ABC Quick Check / Maintenance and Repairs
- Biking on City Streets: Navigating Common Hazards / Bikes and Transit
- Bike Services / Online Events Offered by Metro, Bike Share, and LACBC: Self-Guided Rides / Metro Bike Map
Metro’s Bicycle Education Safety Training (BEST) Program currently offers bike classes at 4 different levels—Bicycling 101 and 1, 2, 3. If you are interested in taking classes at the next level or joining a community bike ride, check out the full event calendar. For more info on how to ride a bike in LA County, visit metro.net/gobike.
Metro Bike Share system makes bikes available 24/7, 365 days a year in Downtown LA, Central LA, Hollywood, North Hollywood, and on the Westside. Metro Bike Share offers convenient round-the-clock access to a fleet of bicycles for short trips. Metro Bike Share is one of LA Metro’s multiple public transportation options for Angelenos and visitors to get around. Metro Bike Share is a fast, easy, and fun way to ride, anytime. Get a bike from any Metro Bike Share station, go for a ride, and properly return it. It’s easy — just like riding a bike!
The Los Angeles County Bicycle Coalition (LACBC) is a membership-based nonprofit organization that works to make all communities in LA County healthy, safe, and fun places to ride a bike through advocacy, education, and outreach.