Bike Share 101: Bike Safety Basics at UCLA Bike Week
May 18 @ 11:00 am - 12:30 pm
About this event
**REGISTRATIONS WILL BE CAPPED AT 30 PEOPLE TO ENSURE LIMITED IN-PERSON ATTENDANCE**
May is Bike Month! Do you live/work in the UCLA community and interested in using Metro Bike Share and learning how to ride safely on and around campus? The BEST Bike Share 101: Bike Safety Basics class, presented by Metro, Metro Bike Share, and LA County Bicycle Coalition, is a 1.5-hour in-person class where you will learn how to navigate the Metro Bike Share system and improve your safety while riding Metro Bike Share on campus. This class will cover the basics of scanning, signaling, rules of the road, helmet and bike fit, and more.
As part of UCLA Bike Week, both Metro Bike Share and LACBC will be tabling at the LuValle Commons Pit Stop (near the Perloff Hall Metro Bike Share Station) assisting riders with checking out bikes, giving away free swag items, and getting to know our UCLA bike community. Join us during lunchtime to learn more about bike safety, riding confidently in Los Angeles, and using Metro Bike Share to connect campus to Westwood Village and beyond!
All attendees who complete this course will receive a code for a FREE 30-Day Metro Bike Share Pass redeemable at any time. You can redeem this code online at metro.net/bikeshare or in the Metro Bike Share app. Participants will also receive a FREE helmet and pair of bike lights.
Pre-registration and attendance confirmation is required for all participants. Once you are registered, we will send you a waiver and location information to confirm your attendance. If you are attending with other family members, each person must be registered in order to attend. Register now to guarantee your spot!
We will be observing strict protocols during class to ensure safety and comfort for all participants and instructors. All instruction will be conducted outdoors to maximize physical distancing. Please keep in mind the following rules while attending class:
- You must confirm your attendance in advance of class so we know to expect you and hold your spot. Every attendee must sign-in and complete a waiver.
- If you are feeling sick or unwell, please stay home. There are many virtual class options still available.
- Please wear a mask or face covering at all times while on site, regardless of vaccination status.
- Staff and instructors reserve the right to refuse service to anyone who does not follow these protocols (e.g., arrives without prior registration, does not complete waiver, refuses to wear a mask).
Check out these other Bike Month events:
Virtual Classes (English)
- Bike Maintenance: Fix-A-Flat (May 12)
- Bike Share 101: Safety Basics (May 13)
- Bicycling 101: Rules of the Road for Night Riding (May 26)
- Experience the El Monte Emerald Necklace (May 7)
- Walk Bike Glendale Ride with Mayor Kassakhian (May 14)
- Bike Share to the Beach – Santa Monica/Venice (May 14)
- Bike to Work Day Lunch Ride – Chinatown (May 19)
- Green Book History in South LA (May 22)
- E-Bike 101 Ride – El Monte (May 22)
Who Should Sign-Up:
If you know how to ride a bike, but may be uncomfortable using a bike for everyday travel or recreation. This class covers bike safety basics and route planning with an engaging and interactive presentation.
What You’ll Learn:
- What I Need to Bike: Helmet Fit / Lights / Locks
- Intro to Bike Share System: Using the App / Finding Docks and Stations / Locking and Returning
- Staying Safe: ABC Quick Check / Maintenance and Repairs
- Biking on City Streets: Navigating Common Hazards / Bikes and Transit
- Bike Services / Online Events Offered by Metro, Bike Share, and LACBC: Community Rides / Metro Bike Map
**RAIN POLICY: In the event of a rain forecast, we will contact you 24 hours in advance to confirm or cancel the class**
Metro’s Bicycle Education Safety Training (BEST) Program currently offers bike classes at 4 different levels—Bicycling 101 and 1, 2, 3. If you are interested in taking classes at the next level or joining a community bike ride, check out the full event calendar. For more info on how to ride a bike in LA County, visit metro.net/gobike.
Metro Bike Share system makes bikes available 24/7, 365 days a year in Downtown LA, Central LA, Hollywood, North Hollywood, and on the Westside. Metro Bike Share offers convenient round-the-clock access to a fleet of bicycles for short trips. Metro Bike Share is one of LA Metro’s multiple public transportation options for Angelenos and visitors to get around. Metro Bike Share is a fast, easy, and fun way to ride, anytime. Get a bike from any Metro Bike Share station, go for a ride, and properly return it. It’s easy — just like riding a bike!
The Los Angeles County Bicycle Coalition (LACBC) is a membership-based nonprofit organization that works to make all communities in LA County healthy, safe, and fun places to ride a bike through advocacy, education, and outreach.