Senior Safety Tips
Keep these safety tips in mind while riding Metro buses and Metro Rail.
Boarding The Bus
- Wait on the sidewalk away from the curb and don’t approach the bus until it comes to a complete stop.
- Use the handrails when boarding. If using a wheelchair or walker while boarding on a lift, be sure to hold the handrails on the lift – the lift could move suddenly once activated!
On The Bus
- Use the handholds while moving through the bus and take your seat promptly.
- Seats at the front of the bus are designated as priority seating for seniors and the disabled – please request other passengers give up those seats if they are occupied.
Leaving The Bus
- Get ready to exit well in advance of your stop so you don’t have to rush.
- Use the handrails when getting off the bus.
- Watch your step getting off, especially at night and in rainy weather.
Boarding The Train
- Stand back from the platform edge and wait from the train to stop before approaching the door.
- Wait for passengers to exit before you attempt to board.
- Watch out for the gap between the platform and the train.
On The Train
- Always use the handrails for stability once aboard the rail car and take a seat promptly – trains start and stop suddenly.
- Side-facing seats near the doors are designated as priority seating for seniors and the disabled – please request other passenger give up those seats if they are occupied.
Getting Off The Train
- Get ready to exit when your stop is approaching so you don’t have to rush.
- Again use the handrails when moving to the door – the train slows suddenly as it comes to a station.
- Watch your step as you exit the train.
Share this page on