The Los Angeles Union Station Forecourt and Esplanade Improvements project will enhance safety and improve pedestrian and bicycle connections between Union Station and surrounding communities.
The proposed project is located in front of Los Angeles Union Station and on adjacent streets. The proposed improvements create a useable civic plaza, and provide enhanced pedestrian and bicycle connections between the station and surrounding businesses and communities.
The proposed project includes the following elements:
- On the east side of Alameda St, a pedestrian/bicycle path with shade trees;
- New curb-side drop-off zone(s) on the east side of Alameda St, replacing one northbound vehicle travel lane;
- On the west side of Alameda St, wider sidewalks in place of one southbound vehicle lane;
- Closure of the northern lane of Los Angeles St between Alameda St and El Pueblo crosswalk;
- Reconfigured driveway into Union Station, including a consolidated, expanded crosswalk between Union Station and El Pueblo Historic Cultural Monument;
- Restricted left-hand turns from Los Angeles Street onto Alameda Street
- Two-way bike path within the extended El Pueblo Plaza
- Reconfiguration of the parking lot at the front of Union Station, including addition of a civic space, sustainability components and a seating area;
- Small structure to serve transit riders
- Designated parking for El Pueblo tourist bus at the curb along the eastern side of Arcadia St between Alameda St and Spring St.
- Restrictions on tour bus parking during peak/rush hour.
Metro is in the design process and will be engaging stakeholders throughout.
Join us for a community meeting for the LA Union Station Forecourt and Esplanade Improvements project. Learn about updates on the design of active transportation features that will enhance safety and connectivity for pedestrians and bicyclists between Union Station and surrounding communities.
Meeting Location and Date
El Pueblo de Los Angeles Historical Monument
Tuesday, March 5, 2019
Presentation begins at 6:30pm
125 Paseo de la Plaza
Los Angeles, CA 90012
: This location is served by:
- Metro Red, Purple, Gold, and Silver Lines at Union Station
- Metro Local Line 40 (Alameda/Arcadia and Alameda/Chavez)
- Metro Local Lines 33, 68, 70, 71, 76, 79, 378, 733 (Chavez/Alameda): 5-minute walk to El Pueblo
- LADOT DASH B (Union Station)
- Parking : Parking is available at 615 N Main St, Los Angeles, CA 90012. Parking validation will not be provided.
Accommodations : All Metro meetings are held in ADA accessible facilities and are accessible by transit. Spanish translations are provided.
ADA and Title VI Requirements: Special accommodations are available to the public for Metro-sponsored meetings. All requests for reasonable accommodations and translation must be made at least three working days (72 hours) in advance of the scheduled meeting date; please call 213.418.3423 or California Relay Service at 711.
Metro initiated the environmental review process (California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA) and National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA)) for the Los Angeles Union Station Forecourt and Esplanade Improvements project in December 2016. Metro has secured Active Transportation Program grant funds that contain federal monies, which will require compliance with NEPA. The California Department of Transportation, acting on behalf of the Federal Highway Administration serves as the Federal Lead Agency.
The following are the Board approved California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA) environmental documents:
- Addendum to the Final Environmental Impact Report (FEIR) and updated Mitigation Monitoring and Reporting Program. Approved by the Metro Board on July 26, 2018.
Final Environmental Impact Report (Certified by the Metro Board on March 1, 2018)
Part 1: Table of Contents and Chapter 8: Response to Comments
Part 2: Chapter 8 (Response to Comments) continued
Part 3: Chapter 9: Clarifications and Revisions to the Draft EIR
Part 4: Updates to Appendices H-1 Intersection Counts
Part 5: Updates to Appendices H-3 Unfunded Connect US Results
Part 6: Updates to Appendices H-4 Intersection Volumes and Geometries
Part 7: Updates to Appendices H-6 VISSAM (traffic analysis) Outputs
Statement of Overriding Considerations and Findings of Fact