The Los Angeles Union Station Forecourt and Esplanade project will enhance pedestrian and bicycle access and safety to and from Los Angeles Union Station and reestablish the connection between the station and surrounding communities.
The proposed project is located in front of Los Angeles Union Station and on adjacent streets. The proposed improvements create a useable civic plaza, and provide enhanced pedestrian and bicycle connections between the station and surrounding businesses and communities.
The proposed project includes the following elements:
- On the east side of Alameda St, a pedestrian/bicycle path with shade trees;
- New curb-side drop-off zone(s) on the east side of Alameda St, replacing one northbound vehicle travel lane;
- On the west side of Alameda St, wider sidewalks in place of one southbound vehicle lane;
- Closure of the northern lane of Los Angeles St between Alameda St and El Pueblo crosswalk;
- Reconfigured driveway into Union Station, including a consolidated, expanded crosswalk between Union Station and El Pueblo Historic Cultural Monument;
- Reconfiguration of the parking lot at the front of Union Station, including addition of a civic space, sustainability components and a seating area;
- Small structure to serve transit riders
- Designated parking for El Pueblo tourist bus at the curb along the eastern side of Arcadia St between Alameda St and Spring St.
Metro initiated the environmental review process (California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA) and National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA)) for the Los Angeles Union Station Forecourt and Esplanade Improvements project in December 2016. Metro has secured Active Transportation Program grant funds that contain federal monies, which will require compliance with NEPA. The California Department of Transportation, acting on behalf of the Federal Highway Administration serves as the Federal Lead Agency.
Metro held a public workshop on September 13, 2017, 6-8 pm at Metro Headquarters to provide information on the proposed improvements and accept comments on the Los Angeles Union Station Forecourt and Esplanade Improvements DEIR.
LA Union Station Forecourt and Esplanade Improvements DEIR Public Workshop Presentation -- September 13, 2017
The comment period on this Draft Environmental Impact Report closed on September 25, 2017.
The Final Environmental Impact Report (FEIR) for this project is anticipated for Metro Board consideration in early 2018.