Metro’s Teacher Externship Program
The Teacher Externship is a pilot program that allows teachers to connect theory and practice by aligning classroom content to workplace practices and policies within the transportation industry. This six-week paid externship will provide 10 selected teachers within LA County schools an opportunity to learn about the transportation infrastructure industry and develop a project-based learning experience for their middle or high school students.
Externship will cover but not be limited to:
- An overview of the global transportation infrastructure industry
- Site visits to Metro operation centers and construction sites
- Rail safety training
- Sessions focused on environmental sustainability
- Project-based learning instruction
- Hands-on training within assigned Metro department(s)
June 17 – July 25, 2019
Monday through Thursday 7:30am – 4pm
Fall semester follow up meetings on Saturdays September 28, October 26, November 16 and December 7, 8am – 2:30pm
- Teachers will be compensated at a competitive rate.
- LA County teachers with a clear credential who are in good standing within their school district
- Teachers must have a confirmed teaching assignment within LA County for Fall 2019, middle and high school teachers are preferred but all teachers will be considered
- A letter of recommendation and commitment from the school principal for the Fall 2019 teaching assignment
How to Apply
Complete the online application at jobs.metro.net . To be considered, online applications must be submitted by March 15, 2019 . Selected candidates will be notified by May 1, 2019.
The online application will include:
Essay responses to the following:
- Describe your educational background, teaching experience and interest in project-based learning specific to the transportation industry
- List assigned classes to be taught during Fall 2019
- Identify your personal learning objectives and the preliminary concepts to developed during the externship
- Identify the departments or work areas within Metro that best align with the course content for the project-based learning experience that will be developed
- Uploading a signed letter of recommendation and commitment from the school principal for the Fall 2019 teaching assignment, indicating support for the integration of the project-based learning experience within the assigned class(es)
Metro’s E3 Initiative (Expose, Educate and Employ the Next Generation of Transportation Professionals)
The mission of the E3 Initiative is to prepare LA County youth for career and college pathways in the global transportation infrastructure industry by teaching them transferrable STEAM industry skills. E3 includes a diverse range of strategies, including collaborating with LA County and the SEED Foundation, to establish a public college-prep boarding school for career readiness in transportation infrastructure, STEM and the humanities, scheduled to open in Fall 2021.