Metro's Teacher Externship Program
Metro's Teacher Externship allows teachers to connect theory and practice by aligning classroom content to workplace practices and policies within the transportation industry. This six-week paid externship will provide 10 selected teachers within LA County schools an opportunity to learn about the transportation infrastructure industry and develop a project-based learning experience for their middle or high school students.
Externship will cover, but not be limited to:
- An overview of the global transportation infrastructure industry
- Site visits to Metro operation centers and construction sites
- Rail safety training
- Sessions focused on environmental sustainability
- Project-based learning instruction
- Hands-on training within assigned Metro department(s)
Monday through Wednesday 7:30am – 4pm
Fall semester follow up meetings on one Saturday a month September through December
9am – 12pm
- Teachers will be compensated at $4,923.36 during the summer based on $34.19 per hour for 24 hours per week, and up to $410.28 during the fall semester.
- Clear credential in good standing
- Confirmed full-time teaching assignment for Fall 2019 at a middle school or high school within LA County
- Principal recommendation from Fall 2019 assignment
- Bachelor's degree in Business Administration, Communications, Education, Organizational Development or other related field
- Two years of experience in developing, facilitating and evaluating training or instruction programs
How to Apply
Complete the online application . To be considered, online applications must be submitted by April 1, 2019 . Selected candidates will be notified by May 1, 2019.
The online application will include:
Essay responses to the following:
- Describe your educational background, teaching experience and interest in project-based learning specific to the transportation industry
- List assigned classes to be taught during Fall 2019
- Identify your personal learning objectives and the preliminary concepts to developed during the externship
- Identify the departments or work areas within Metro that best align with the course content for the project-based learning experience that will be developed
- Upload a signed letter of recommendation and commitment from the school principal for the Fall 2019 teaching assignment, which indicates support for the integration of the project-based learning experience within the assigned class(es). In lieu of a recommendation letter, a recommendation and commitment form can be provided for principals to sign. To get a copy of this form, please contact the program office at email@example.com
Metro's E3 Youth Initiative (Expose, Educate and Employ the Next Generation of Transportation Professionals)
The mission of the E3 Youth Initiative is to prepare LA County youth for career and college pathways in the global transportation infrastructure industry by teaching them transferrable Science, Technology, Engineering, the Arts and Mathematics [STEAM] industry skills. E3 includes a diverse range of strategies, including collaborating with LA County and the SEED Foundation, to establish a public college-prep boarding school for career readiness in transportation infrastructure, Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics [STEM] and the humanities, scheduled to open in Fall 2022.