In March 2015, the U.S. DOT announced an initiative to permit, on an experimental basis, Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) and Federal Transit Administration (FTA) recipients and sub-recipients the ability to utilize previously disallowed local/geographic-based labor hiring preferences and economic-based labor hiring preferences on Construction and Rolling Stock projects. This initiative was carried out and extended under the FHWA and FTA’s existing Authorities.
The Federal Register published a notice from the USDOT announcing the withdrawal of the Pilot Local Hire program on October 6, 2017.
Metro currently has the following contracts awarded under the Pilot Local Hire Initiative:
- Southwestern Yard Light Rail Vehicle Yard - $172 million
- Westside Subway Extension Project, Section 2 - $1.3 billion
- Purple Line Extension Section 3 Advanced Utility Relocation - $11 million
- Red Line Car Overhaul Procurement
- Heavy Rail Vehicle Procurement
- New CNG Bus Procurement (40 – foot)
- Blue Line Car Overhaul