Location & Date
Metro Board Room, One Gateway Plaza, 3rd Floor,
Thursday, January 19, 2012 12:00 p.m.
Call to Order
Ara Najarian, Chair
José Huizar, Vice Chair
Michael Miles, non-voting member
Arthur T. Leahy, Chief Executive Officer
Michele Jackson, Board Secretary
Karen Gorman, Ethics Officer
Karen Gorman, Acting Inspector General
County Counsel, General Counsel
- Metro Operations Employee of the Month.
- RECEIVE the Transit Operations report.
- RECEIVE report on System Safety.
- RECEIVE report on Los Angeles Metro Protective Services (LAMPS).
- Amending CP #201055 (100 Bus Replacements) which was approved by the Board in June 2011, to include an additional 50 forty-five foot Compressed Natural Gas (CNG) buses for the FY13 capital program increasing the current life-of-project budget from $70,000,000 to $86,830,211 for an increase of $16,830,211 which includes project contingency;
- Finding that there is only a single source of procurement for forty-five foot CNG buses, and purchase is for the sole purpose of duplicating buses already in use. The Board hereby authorizes the purchase of an additional 50 forty-five foot CNG buses pursuant to Public utility Code section 130237;
- Executing Contract Option No. 4 to Contract OP33202082 with North American Bus Industries (NABI), to purchase fifty CNG high capacity composite buses for the firm fixed price of $15,882,711, increasing the Total Contract Value from $325,442,964 to $341,325,675, inclusive of sales tax
- Authorizing staff to cancel RFP OP33202720 for procurement of 700 replacement buses.
(REQUIRES TWO-THIRDS VOTE)
- AUTHORIZE the Chief Executive Officer to:
- Proceed with proposals to revitalize the Silver Line service corridor (I-110 Harbor Transitway and I-10 El Monte Busway) in concept;
- Include additional allocation of $1,155,000 in operating costs required for the Silver Line Revitalization Program into the FY13 and future budgets.
- Establish a life-of-project (LOP) capital budget for the Silver Line Revitalization Program in the amount of $7,845,000;
- Amend the FY12 budget to add $550,000 of revenues and expenditures to be funded with Federal 5307 Bus Operations Subcommittee Transit Enhancements funds to begin implementation of the capital project in FY12.
- AUTHORIZE the Chief Executive Officer to award a contract under IFB No. OP39602800 with Icom America, Inc., the lowest responsive and responsible bidder, to provide two-way equipment to support communications within LACMTA's Rail Stations and underground rightof- way for an amount not to exceed $6,251,341.80, inclusive of baseline quantities, training, warranty, and optional quantities.
- Authorizing the Chief Executive Officer (CEO) to execute a five (5) year license agreement ("Agreement"), including up to three (3) successive five year options, with West Angeles Church of God in Christ, ("WA COGIC") for the rental of approximately four hundred fifty parking spaces (450) in a parking garage located at 3500 Crenshaw Boulevard, Los Angeles, CA commencing the earlier of (i) the date that is sixty (60) days after the date LACMTA delivers written notice to WA COGIC that it requires use of the Parking Garage and (ii) July 1, 2012 at an estimated initial annual rental cost of $281,700/annually plus $435,896 in estimated annual operating expenses. Annual rent and operation expenses including annual escalations are estimated to be in the range of $4,000,000 over the initial five-year term.
- Amend the FY12 budget to add $50,000 for start up costs under Project 300066 (Expo Light Rail Operations Project); and
- Amend the FY12 budget to add approximately $400,000 of expenses to Project 300066 (Expo Light Rail Operation Project), in Cost Center 0651 (Non-Departmental), and Account No. 51201 (Lease and Rental Property and Facilities) to cover MTA's share of the annual operating budget of the garage for the remainder of FY12. This action is within the estimated life-of-project budget of $4,000,000.
- AUTHORIZE the Chief Executive Officer to execute Contract Modification No. 1 to Contract No. MA100029 with Wabtec Passenger Transit for the overhaul of Breda A650 heavy rail vehicle friction brake system equipment in an amount not-to-exceed $640,028 increasing the Total Contract Value from $1,500,928 to $2,140,956.
- AUTHORIZE the Chief Executive Officer to award a 24-month, firm fixed price contract under Bid Number 11-0041 to the lowest responsive and responsible bidders for bus filters for an amount not to exceed $3,312,644, inclusive of sales tax and a one year option for the following vendors:
- H & H Auto Parts Wholesale for line items 5 (Transmission Filter Kit), 11 (Element Fuel Filter 30 oz.), 12 (Element Fuel Filter 50 oz), and 14 (Element Fan Reservoir Filter) for a total contract value of $796,674 inclusive of sales tax, and
- Vehicle Maintenance Program for line items 1 (Engine Oil Filter), 2 (Element Oil Filter), 6 (Element – Water Filter Cummins), 7 (Air Intake Engine Filter), 10 (Coolant Filter), 13 (Air Intake Engine Series 50), 15 (Air Intake Engine Filter), 21 (Air Intake Engine Filter Cleaner), 22 (Engine Oil Filter Cummins), and 24 (Engine Oil Filter L10 Cummins) for a total contract value of $763,290 inclusive of sales tax, and
- Factory Motor Parts for line item 9 (Spin On Fuel CNG Filter) for a total contract value of $261,971, inclusive of sales tax, and (Continued on next page) (Item 60 – Continued from previous page)
- TK Service, Inc. for line item 20 (Air Intake Evaporator Filter) for a total contract value of $9,571, inclusive of sales tax, an
- Cummins Cal Pacific, LLC for line item 4 (Closed Crankcase Ventilation Element Filter) for a total contract value of $355,703, and
- North American Bus Industries (NABI) for line items 17 (Filter Kit Coalescing & Scrubber Depth Pad), 19 (Element Fuel CNG Filter) and 25 (Filter Hydraulic Spin-On) for a total contract value of $275,335, and
- Aire Filter Product for line items 3 (AC Filter), 23 Air Intake Evaporator Filter), and 26 (Screen – Filter Ventilation) for a total contract value of $153,086, and H. Muncie Transit Supply for line items 16 (AC Return Filter) and 18 (Hydraulic Fluid Element Filter) for a total contract value of $697,034.
- AUTHORIZE the Chief Executive Officer to award a five-year firm fixed unit rate contract, under bid no. OP3344-11-2821 with Ace Fence Company, the lowest responsive, responsible bidder, to provide fence replacement installation, maintenance, and repair services for Metro transit facilities in an amount not to exceed $1,282,400, inclusive of two one-year option periods, effective March 1, 2012.
- RECEIVE AND FILE report on implementation plans to increase productivity and cost efficiency of the following lines with low ridership: Lines 126, 177, 201, 202, 442, 607 and 620.
- RECEIVE AND FILE response to a Board Motion of September 22, 2011 and an update on staff's interim evaluation of LACMTA's Red Light Photo Enforcement program.
- RECEIVE AND FILE report on Metro Silver Line update.
- WITHDRAWN: RECEIVE AND FILE comparative analysis of Clipper, TAP and Compass card and validator systems.
- RECEIVE AND FILE response to a Board Motion of October 27, 2011 regarding MTA's safety culture.
- RECEIVE oral activities update from Citizens' Advisory Council.
- RECEIVE report of the Chief Executive Officer.
- CLOSED SESSION:
- Conference with Legal Counsel - Anticipated Litigation - G.C. 54956.9(b): Significant Exposure to Litigation (one case)
Consideration of items not on the posted agenda, including: items to be presented and (if requested) referred to staff; items to be placed on the agenda for action at a future meeting of the Committee or Board; and/or items requiring immediate action because of an emergency situation or where the need to take immediate action came to the attention of the Committee subsequent to the posting of the agenda.
COMMENTS FROM THE PUBLIC ON ITEMS OF PUBLIC INTEREST WITHIN COMMITTEE'S SUBJECT MATTER JURISDICTION