Skip to Content
Search

Agenda, Accessibility Advisory Committee (AAC)

AGENDA

Accessibility Advisory Committee (AAC)

One Gateway Plaza
3 rd Floor – Union Station Conference Room
*Please note change in room.

1

CALL TO ORDER: Self-Introductions/Housekeeping Items

10:30 – 10:40 am

Daniel Garcia, Chair

Paula Guevara, Metro

2

ACTION: Approval of August 9, 2018 Meeting Minutes

10:40 – 10:45 am

Daniel Garcia, Chair

3

PRESENTATION: Service Excellence Awards

10:45 – 10:50 am

Daniel Garcia, Chair

4

ACTION: 2018-2019 Election of Officers

10:50 – 11:00 am

Daniel Garcia, Chair

5

INFORMATION: Accessibility Features on New Buses

11:00 – 11:15 am

Daniel Levy, Metro

Walk to Patsouras Plaza 11:15 – 11:30 am

6

PRESENTATION: Pilot Bus Walk-Thru

11:30 – 12:10 am

Kwesi Annan, Metro

Walk Back to Meeting Room

12:10 – 12:20 pm

7

NEW BUSINESS: Raised Subsequent to the Posting of the Agenda

12:20 – 12:25 pm

Daniel Garcia, Chair

8

PUBLIC COMMENT

12:25 – 12:30 pm

Daniel Garcia, Chair

(2 minutes per speaker)

9

ADJOURNMENT

12:30 pm

Daniel Garcia, Chair

TO REQUEST ACCESSIBILITY ADVISORY COMMITTEE AGENDAS IN ALTERNATIVE FORMATS, PLEASE CALL 213.922.7495. LIVE CAPTION IS PROVIDED AT EVERY COMMITTEE MEETING.

Meeting Minutes for June 14, 2018

Los Angeles County Metropolitan Transportation Authority Accessibility Advisory Committee

Members in Attendance:

Daniel Daniel Garcia (Chair)
Jared Rimer (First Vice-Chair)
Liz Lyons (Second Vice-Chair)
Ellen Blackman
Tonni Yee-Hemphill
Kathleen Barajas
Karen Esquival-Mayes
Kevin Dixon
Edward Williams
Cynde Soto
Mark Panitz
Victor Dominguez
Frank Chavez
Linda Keeney
John Mavis
Artemio Ambrosio

Excused:

Tina Foafoa
Blanca Angulo

Absent:

Christine Leahey

1. CALL TO ORDER

Chair Daniel Garcia called the meeting to order at 10:30 am, followed by introductions. Committee members were informed that personal care attendants are available to assist them throughout the meeting.

2. ACTION: Approval of June 2018 Meeting Minutes

The minutes from the June 2018 meeting were approved by majority vote.

3. PRESENTATION: Service Excellence Awards

The committee recognized Operator Donday Orr from Division 9 with a Service Excellence Award for his performance in the field and commitment to serving customers with disabilities. Mr. Orr was joined by Division 9 Director Peter Mellon were to accept the award.

4. INFORMATION: Recommendation of 2018-2019 Officers

Ellen Blackman, member of the Nominating Committee, addressed the committee regarding their recommendations for upcoming vacancies. The committee recommended Frank Chavez for the Chair position, Cynde Soto for First Vice-Chair, and Kathleen Barajas for Second Vice-Chair. Voting will occur at the September 2018 meeting.

5. PRESENTATION: NextGen Bus Study Workshop Update

Al Martinez, Senior Director of Information Technology at Metro, joined the committee to provide an update regarding the Next Trip program. Mr. Martinez explained to the committee that the signs are available as a coordinated effort between Metro and LADOT. In the last year, Metro has executed a contract to provide 300 new digital next trip signs at additional bus stops throughout Los Angeles and surrounding cities. These signs will list bus arrival times for Metro buses as well as other municipalities serviced by the stop. All signs are ADA compliant and include Braille signage and the push to talk feature. Metro is currently limited to where these signs can be installed as they require a shelter be located at the stop. Metro is looking for other ways to expand the next trip signs and recommends that users take advantage of tools made available by Metro such as the Metro mobile application, which provides the same information but in a manner that is accessible to the person using it.

MEETING BREAKS AT 11:29 A.M.; MEETING RESUMES AT 11:45 A.M.

6. PRESENTATION: Metro Emergency Preparedness Plan

Joe Mendez, Senior Director for Emergency Services and Homeland Security at Metro, addressed the committee regarding Metro’s emergency preparedness plan. Mr. Mendez explained that Metro has a plan for evacuating the building should an emergency occur and gave the committee members suggestions regarding what they can do to prepare themselves should an emergency occur while at home or at an AAC meeting. Floor wardens are assigned to each of the floors at One Gateway plaza and committee members should look for individuals wearing a high visibility vest and a white helmet to direct them in case of an emergency.

7. NEW BUSINESS: Raised Subsequent to the Posting of the Agenda

Frank Chavez relayed to the committee that he has experienced several bus operators who he feels do not respect pedestrian traffic. He has been nearly struck by buses on two occasions. Jared Rimer agreed with Mr. Chavez and explained that he had several near misses as well. Daniel Garcia, Chair of the Committee relayed to the members present that he had also had a negative experience recently. Mr. Garcia had his cell phone and Kindle tablet stolen and wanted to warn the other members of the committee to be extra careful with their personal belongings.

8. PUBLIC COMMENT

Laura Parra, member of the public, proposed increasing the number of shelters at bus stops. Cecilia Pelc, member of the public, asked if there was a way for Metro to make the stop request button aboard buses more visible to people who have visual impairments. Dan Levy, Chief of the Office of Civil Rights at Metro, addressed Ms. Pelc’s question and explained that the current order of buses that Metro is waiting for, has an increased number of call buttons which will also incorporate Braille lettering to assist individuals with visual impairments. Mark Panitz relayed to the committee that there is a mobile application for individuals who have difficulties with speech. The application allows the user to type out text and the mobile device will read the text aloud. Tonni Yee Hemphill requested that the next trip announcement signs at Metro bus stops and rail stations be reviewed for functionality. She has encountered several that were not functioning correctly.

Karen Esquivel-Mayes inquired as to whether Metro was going to install more directional bars at platforms. Karen finds that they are very useful for travel training with individuals who have visual impairments. Dan Levy from Metro responded to Karen’s question and explained that there is a project underway for the expansion of directional bars at rail stations. Currently, the materials for those features are under review.

9. ADJOURNMENT

Meeting adjourned at 12:21 PM

Share this page on
Advertisement
Close Search Window

Search metro.net, The Source, and El Pasajero