Skip to Content
Search

Agenda, Accessibility Advisory Committee (AAC)

AGENDA

Accessibility Advisory Committee (AAC)

One Gateway Plaza
3 rd Floor – Gateway Conference Room

1

CALL TO ORDER: Self-Introductions/Housekeeping Items

10:30 – 10:40 am

Daniel Garcia, Chair

Paula Guevara, Metro

2

ACTION: Approval of June 14, 2018 Meeting Minutes

10:40 – 10:45 am

Daniel Garcia, Chair

3

PRESENTATION: Service Excellence Awards

10:45 – 10:50 am

Daniel Garcia, Chair

4

PRESENTATION: Recommendation of 2018-2019 Officers

10:50 – 11:00 am

Nomination Subcommittee

5

INFORMATION: NextGen Bus Study Workshop Update

11:00 – 11:15 am

Liz Lyons, AAC Member

6

PRESENTATION: NextBus Project Update

11:15 – 11:35 am

Al Martinez, Metro

BREAK

11:35 – 11:45 am

7

PRESENTATION: Metro Emergency Preparedness Plan

11:45 – 12:05 pm

Joe Mendez, Metro

8

NEW BUSINESS: Raised Subsequent to the Posting of the Agenda

12:05 – 12:20 pm

Daniel Garcia, Chair

9

PUBLIC COMMENT

12:20 – 12:30 pm

Daniel Garcia, Chair

(2 minutes per speaker)

10

ADJOURNMENT

12:30 pm

Daniel Garcia, Chair

TO REQUEST ACCESSIBILITY ADVISORY COMMITTEE AGENDAS IN ALTERNATIVE FORMATS, PLEASE CALL 213.922.7495. LIVE CAPTION IS PROVIDED AT EVERY COMMITTEE MEETING.

Meeting Minutes for June 14, 2018

Los Angeles County Metropolitan Transportation Authority Accessibility Advisory Committee

Members in Attendance:

Daniel Garcia (Chair)
Jared Rimer (First Vice-Chair)
Liz Lyons (Second Vice-Chair)
Linda Keeney
John Mavis
Ellen Blackman
Tonni Yee-Hemphill
Kathleen Barajas
Karen Esquival-Mayes
Kevin Dixon
Edward Williams

Excused:

Cynde Soto
Tina Foafoa
Mark Panitz
Frank Chavez
Blanca Angulo

Absent:

Christine Leahey
Artemio Ambrosio
Victor Dominguez
Ben Rockwell

1. Call to order

Chair Daniel Garcia called the meeting to order at 10:30 am, followed by introductions. Committee members were informed that personal care attendants are available to assist them throughout the meeting.

2. ACTION: Approval of May 2018 Meeting Minutes

The minutes from the May 2018 meeting were approved by majority vote.

3. PRESENTATION: Service Excellence Awards

The committee recognized Operator Tonya Jones from Division 5 with a Service Excellence Award for her performance in the field and commitment to serving customers with disabilities. Mrs. Jones and Manager Regina Bird were present to accept the award.

4. INFORMATION: Response to Committee Concerns

Dan Levy, Metro’s Chief of the Office of Civil Rights, addressed the committee regarding concerns raised by several committee members and Metro staff alleging disruptive behavior that occurred during the May meeting. Dan stressed that all committee members are to treat each other with respect, and reiterated the rules for comments on presentations brought before the committee. Copies of Robert’s Rules of Order will be provided to the members of the committee upon request if they would like to review them.

5. DISCUSSION: Review Bylaws

Daniel Garcia, Chair of the Accessibility Advisory Committee and Paula Guevara from Metro reviewed the current committee bylaws with the group. The steering committee, in a previous meeting, decided that a review of the bylaws was necessary in light of questionable behavior between committee members. Daniel opened the floor to suggestions and made note of several ideas that were passed along by various committee members. Daniel asked that any further suggestions for expanding the bylaws be sent to him or Metro staff for compilation. The suggestions will be brought to the committee as a whole at a later date.

MEETING BREAKS AT 11:25 A.M.; MEETING RESUMES AT 11:43 A.M.

6. INFORMATION: Membership Renewal

Paula Guevara, Metro staff, informed the committee members that those in Group “B” are up for renewal. Group “B” members are Kevin Dixon, Tonni Yee Hemphill, Liz Lyons, Mark Panitz, Edward Williams, Kathleen Barajas, and Victor Dominguez. Committee members up for renewal will receive applications to complete and return to the steering committee for review and approval.

7. INFORMATION: Selection of the 2018/2019 Steering Committee Nomination Subcommittee

Ellen Blackman and Karen Esquivel-Mayes were selected to form the Steering Committee Nomination Subcommittee. The subcommittee is charged with providing the committee with nominations for the future steering committee. It was requested that the subcommittee provide their recommendation prior to the August 2018 meeting of the AAC.

8. INFORMATION: Safely Transporting All Riders (STAR) Program

Ozzie Montes, STAR team member, briefed the committee on the work undertaken by his team on behalf of Metro. Ozzie explained to the committee that he and Mr. Bryan Galarza are tasked by Metro with hosting events, conducting outreach, and directly strapping and marking mobility devices used by Metro customers for safer and more efficient securement on buses and trains. The STAR team travels throughout all of the Metro service area and provides information regarding transit services as well as free strapping and marking of mobility devices.

9. NEW BUSINESS: Raised Subsequent to the Posting of the Agenda

Tonni Yee-Hemphill relayed to the committee that she feels there should be more signage around rail stations, including more accessible signage to assist riders with visual impairments. Linda Keeney agreed with Tonni and added that she has been having trouble getting the Operators to put the ramp down for her.

10. PUBLIC COMMENT

Catherine George Chu from the Los Angeles County Commission on Disabilities explained to the committee that she would be attending the Accessibility Advisory Committee meetings as a member of the public. She will be providing the commission she works for with a detailed report regarding what occurs at the Accessibility Advisory Committee Meetings.

11. ADJOURNMENT

Meeting adjourned at 12:21 PM

Share this page on
Advertisement
Close Search Window

Search metro.net, The Source, and El Pasajero