Skip to Content
Search

Accessibility Advisory Committee (AAC) - May 2018 Agenda and March 2018 Minutes

One Gateway Plaza

3 rd Floor – Gateway Conference Room

1

CALL TO ORDER: Self-Introductions/Housekeeping Items

10:30 – 10:35 am

Daniel Garcia, Chair

2

ACTION: Approval of March 8, 2018 Meeting Minutes

10:35 – 10:40 am

Daniel Garcia, Chair

3

PRESENTATION: Service Excellence Awards

10:40 – 10:50 am

Daniel Garcia, Chair

4

INFORMATION : Election of NextGen Bus Study Representative

10:50 – 11:00 am

Daniel Garcia, Chair

5

INFORMATION: Update on TAP Wristband Pilot Program

11:00 – 11:10 am

Charles Adams, Metro

6

INFORMATION: Metro Strategic Plan (Vision 2028)

11:10 – 11:30 am

Tham Nguyen, Metro

BREAK

11:30 – 11:40 am

7

INFORMATION: LIFE Program

11:40 am – 11:55 am

Armineh Saint, Metro

8

REMEMBERING SHERRILL MARTIN

11:55 am – 12:05 pm

9

NEW BUSINESS: Raised Subsequent to the Posting of the Agenda

12:05 – 12:20 pm

Daniel Garcia, Chair

10

PUBLIC COMMENT

12:20 – 12:30 pm

Daniel Garcia, Chair

(2 minutes per speaker)

11

ADJOURNMENT

12:30 pm

Daniel Garcia, Chair

TO REQUEST ACCESSIBILITY ADVISORY COMMITTEE AGENDAS IN ALTERNATIVE FORMATS, PLEASE CALL 213.922.7495. LIVE CAPTION IS PROVIDED AT EVERY COMMITTEE MEETING.

Meeting Minutes for March 8, 2018

Los Angeles County Metropolitan Transportation Authority Accessibility Advisory Committee

Members in Attendance:

Daniel Garcia (Chair)
Jared Rimer (First Vice-Chair)
Liz Lyons (Second Vice-Chair)
Cynde Soto
Linda Keeney
John Mavis
Frank Chavez
Ellen Blackman
Tonni Yee-Hemphill
Kathleen Barajas
Victor Dominguez
Artemio Ambrosio
Mark Panitz
Karen Esquival-Mayes
Tina Foafoa
Kevin Dixon
Edward Williams

Excused:

Ben Rockwell
Blanca Angulo

Absent:

Christine Leahey

1. Call to order

Chair Daniel Garcia called the meeting to order at 10:31 am. Introductions to all present committee members were made. Committee members informed that Personal Care Attendants are available to assist them throughout the meeting.

2. ACTION: Approval of February 2018 Meeting Minutes

The minutes from the February 2018 meeting were approved by majority vote.

3. PRESENTATION: Service Excellence Awards

The committee recognized the top three participants from the 2017 Wheelchair Securement Competition held in February 2018. Operators LaTiffany Hickman (3 rd place), Woodrow Thomas (2 nd place), and Alejandro Morales (1 st place), were joined by their division managers Zsa Zsa bates, Karla Aleman, and Maria Reynolds to accept plaques for their respective divisions to accompany the personal plaques presented to the finalists at the competition.

4. PRESENTATION: Vehicle Configuration

Daniel Levy, Chief of the Office of Civil Rights at Metro, provided an update to the committee regarding the designs of Metro’s updated configurations for buses and heavy/light rail cars with an eye towards increased accessibility. Improvements will be made to existing buses and train cars as they are refurbished as well as being included in the approximately one thousand (1,000) new buses that will be delivered to Metro over the next few years. Mr. Levy pointed out the accessibility features including bolstered language for reserved seating areas, Q’pod securement system for buses, rear-facing securement pads, individual walker compartment, stanchions marked with tactile handholds, tactile lettering and Braille signage.

5. PRESENTATION: Access Services Eligibility Process & New “Where’s My Ride” (WMR) System App

F. Scott Jewel and Ruben Prieto from Access Services, joined the committee to inform the members about their organizations eligibility process and the new “Where’s my Ride” app. Mr. Jewel explained to the committee that Access Services made changes to the eligibility process in July of 2017 and provided a refresher of how to apply for Access Services. He directed committee members to visit the Access Services website for full text of eligibility requirements and the application process.

Mr. Prieto provided the committee with an overview of the functions of the “Where’s my Ride?” app which allows Access Services users to determine where their driver is via a mobile device. Mr. Prieto walked the present members through the process of finding the location of their driver, determining their driver’s estimated time of arrival, and rating their ride upon completion.

MEETING BREAKS AT 11:49 A.M.; MEETING RESUMES AT 11:58 A.M.

6. INFORMATION: On The Move Rider’s Program

Lilly Ortiz, Community Relations Officer at Metro, presented to the committee information regarding Metro’s “On the Move” Rider’s Program which was created to serve the needs of the growing older adult population in Los Angeles. Ms. Ortiz explained that the program provides educational presentations, transit-oriented resources, hosts events, and offers educational transit tours with the goal of helping older adults become more aware of fixed route transportation.

7. NEW BUSINESS

Committee member Tonni Yee Hemphill wanted to officially compliment Metro for cleaning up the area around the stop located at Vermont and Beverly. She called Metro to report the conditions and found the area clean the next day. The NextTrip sign at that location was also functioning properly. Karen Esquivel-Mayes and Artemio Ambrosio both noted that they would like to have a presentation regarding NextTrip functionality at more Metro bus stops. Paula Guevara agreed to look into who would be the best person to address that.

8. PUBLIC COMMENT

Richard Stanley, member of the public, asked the committee if they were aware of the infrared scanners that are currently in place at LA Metro rail stations. Armando Roman, Accessibility Analyst at Metro, explained to the committee that the scanners are for use by Metrolink riders who want to transfer to a Metro rail service. The Metrolink ticket contains a scannable section that allows the transfer to occur.

9. ADJOURNMENT

The meeting was adjourned at 12:22 PM

Share this page on
Advertisement
Close Search Window

Search metro.net, The Source, and El Pasajero