HDC Functional Alternatives and physical variations carried forward for further study in the Draft EIS/EIR:
- No Build Alternative
- Freeway/Expressway Alternative (Avenue P-8, I-15 and SR-18) (With 4 Variations)
- Freeway/Tollway Alternative (Avenue P-8, I-15 and SR-18)
- Freeway/Expressway Alternative with High Speed Rail Feeder Service
- Freeway/Tollway Alternative with High Speed Rail Feeder Service
The No-Build (No Action) Alternative is exactly as it sounds – it proposes that no new corridor be built. Simply, the No-Build alternative represents future travel conditions without the HDC project, and is the baseline against which the other alternatives are measured.
This Alternative consists of a combination of a controlled-access freeway and an expressway. It generally follows Avenue P-8 in Los Angeles County, and south of El Mirage Rd in San Bernardino County, later extending to Air Expressway Rd near I-15 and curving south to terminate at Bear Valley Rd. This alternative, unlike the previous two, will also consider incorporation of green technologies and a new bikeway.
There are four slight variations that are being considered for this alternative, each representing a difference in how the freeway/expressway would curve and bend throughout the alignment:
- Near the City of Palmdale, the freeway/expressway would dip slightly south of the main alignment, approximately between 15th St East and Little Rock Wash.
Variation B (south)
- East of the county line, the freeway/expressway would flare out slightly south of the main alignment between Oasis Rd and Coughlin Rd.
- Variation B1 is another option in this area but is more direct and would require a shorter travel distance and would pass through Krey Airfield.
Near the community of Lake Los Angeles, the freeway/expressway would dip slightly south of the main alignment, just south of Avenue R approximately between 180th St East and 230th St East. Variation D would maintain geometries that would allow for High Speed Rail tracks.
- Near the cities of Adelanto and Victorville, the freeway/expressway would dip south of the federal prison.
This Alternative follows the same physical alignment as the Freeway/Expressway Alternative with the addition of sections of the alignment operating as a tollway. The incorporation of green energy technologies and a bikeway will also be considered.
This Alternative is the same as the Freeway/Expressway Alternative, with the addition of a High Speed Rail (HSR) Feeder Service between Palmdale and Victorville. The incorporation of green energy technologies and a bikeway will also be considered in this alternative.
This Alternative is the same as the Freeway/Tollway Alternative, with the addition of a High Speed Rail (HSR) Feeder Service between Palmdale and Victorville. The incorporation of green energy technologies and a bikeway will also be considered.