The project anticipates completion of the Skirball Center Dr Bridge by September 2014. The bridge structure work is complete. Remaining work includes the installation of the joint seals and the permanent fence and completion of the animal crossing.
The new Skirball Center Dr southbound on-and off-ramp are anticipated to be complete by late summer/early fall. The ramps have been reconstructed and are open to full capacity. Remaining work includes completing the tie-in to Sepulveda Bl and the freeway mainline, which is linked to the widening work on Sepulveda Bl.
Enhanced Bridge Features
When completed, the expanded Skirball Center Dr Bridge will be widened by approximately 30 feet and designed to the latest seismic standards.
The new bridge will include a minimum 10-foot-wide travel path on the south side of the bridge to accommodate wildlife movement. This path would function as a wildlife conduit (during nighttime hours) as well as a pedestrian sidewalk.
New Skirball Ramps
The new southbound Skirball on-and off-ramps were reconstructed to create higher capacity and were relocated approximately 2,000 feet south of the Skirball Center Dr Bridge to improve traffic flow and alleviate congestion on the bridge.
Here are several features of the relocated southbound on- and off-ramps:
- Greater ramp storage capacity for vehicles entering and exiting the I-405 freeway
- Dedicated turn-lanes on Sepulveda Bl for vehicles entering and exiting the freeway
- New bike routes on Sepulveda Bl between Skirball Center Dr and the new southbound on- and off-ramps
- Simpler design of the Sepulveda Bl/Skirball Center Dr intersection, resulting in a safer intersection
- Shorter traffic-signal cycles, enabling improved traffic-signal synchronization to expedite travel throughout the Sepulveda Pass corridor's local street network