Metro to start New Silver Line Bus Service, Implement New Direct Service Between Pacoima, Van Nuys and North Hollywood and make other Service Enhancements effective Sunday, Dec. 13
Effective Sunday, Dec. 13, Metro will be making several bus service enhancements including the creation of a new bus line connecting the San Gabriel Valley with the South Bay, providing direct bus service between Pacoima, Van Nuys and North Hollywood in the San Fernando Valley and making various bus service enhancements.
Metro will begin operating the new Silver Line express bus service every 5 to 15 minutes during weekday rush hours connecting the San Gabriel Valley with the South Bay using both the El Monte Busway and the Harbor Freeway Transitway with numerous stops in downtown Los Angeles.
The Silver Line will operate seven days a week from approximately 4:15 a.m. to 12:55 a.m.
The new service is designed to save commuters time by allowing patrons to take advantage of the Silver Line’s frequent, direct connections to downtown landmarks such as Staples Center, Walt Disney Concert Hall, the LA Convention Center, the Fashion District, Cal State LA, LA Live, California Science Center, USC, the LA Coliseum as well as various work, school, shopping and dining facilities.
Base cash fare for the new Silver Line service is $2.45 one way, $1.15 for senior/disabled cash fare during peak times, 85 cents in off-peak times. Metro Day Passes will be honored as base fare and Metro weekly, monthly and EZ transit passes will be accepted with an additional $1.20 charge when boarding.
Some trips on the new service will terminate at Flower and 7th Street in downtown Los Angeles. Patrons are asked to check timetables for details or visit Metro’s Trip Planner at metro.net. The new Silver Line replaces Metro Express Bus Lines 444, 446-447, 484, 490 and 450X which currently operate on the Harbor Transitway and the El Monte Busway. These lines will be rerouted to provide connecting service to the Silver Line and be given new route numbers.
Metro also will implement new direct bus service between Pacoima, Van Nuys and North Hollywood. New line 902 (Pacoima-North Hollywood Station via Van Nuys Blvd., Burbank Blvd.) will offer new local and limited stop service connecting the North Hollywood Metro Red Line subway station and Pacoima via Van Nuys Blvd. and Burbank Blvd. The line is designed to offer patrons an alternative to using the Metro Orange Line in their trip to Van Nuys.
Listed below are other service enhancements planned for implementation effective Sunday,
- 33/333 (Los Angeles – Santa Monica via Venice Bl) Line will be rerouted southbound via regular route to Main St & Venice Bl then via 17th St, Hill St and return to Venice Bl.
- 71(Los Angeles – El Monte via City Terrace Dr & Garvey Av) Line 71 will now serve the County/USC Medical Center Outpatient Clinic, as well as the new hospital addition located on Marengo St.
- 96(Downtown Los Angeles – Sherman Oaks via Griffith Park Dr & Riverside Dr) Line will be rerouted to better serve the Silver Lake Library. Northbound, Line 96 will travel via regular route to Riverside & Fletcher Drives, then via Fletcher Dr, Glendale Bl, and return to Riverside Dr. Southbound trips will travel the same route in reverse.
- 153 (Woodland Hills-No Hollywood Station via Fallbrook Av, Roscoe Bl, Lankershim Bl) Discontinue service. The majority of the route is duplicated by the route of Line 152.
- 210 (South Bay Galleria-Hollywood via Crenshaw Bl) The Southbound stop from the Hollywood/Vine Station will move to Argyle Av, south of Hollywood Bl, around the corner from the Metro Rail Station portal.
- 444 (Rancho Palos Verdes – Union Station via Hawthorne Bl-Artesia Bl-Harbor Expressway)
Local service between the Artesia Transit Center and Palos Verdes Peninsula will be renumbered as Line 344 serving limited stops on Artesia Bl and all local stops on Hawthorne Bl. Express service north of Artesia Transit Center to Los Angeles will be discontinued and replaced with the new Metro Silver Line.
- 446/447 (San Pedro – Union Station via Pacific Av, Avalon Bl, Harbor Transitway)
Local service between the Artesia Transit Center and San Pedro via Avalon Bl. will be renumbered Lines 246/247. The Korean Bell terminal in San Pedro will be replaced by a new south terminal at Point Fermin Park. Express service north of Artesia Transit Center on the Harbor Transitway will be discontinued and replaced with the new Metro Silver Line.
- 484 (Pomona – Downtown LA via Valley Bl & El Monte Busway)
Line 484 will be renumbered to Line 194. Service will be provided between Cal Poly Pomona to El Monte Station as usual with a similar frequency. Patrons with destinations west of El Monte Station will need to transfer to the new Metro Silver Line.
- 490 (Pomona - Downtown LA via Ramona Bl & El Monte Busway)
Line 490 will be renumbered to Line 190. Service will be provided between Cal Poly Pomona to El Monte Station as usual with a similar frequency. Patrons with destinations west of El Monte Station will need to transfer to the new Metro Silver Line.
- 715 (LAX – Downey via Manchester Av and Firestone Bl Metro Rapid) A new Metro Rapid Stop will be added at Firestone & Paramount.
Minor changes will be made to the frequency of bus lines listed below. Please check the timetables on metro.net, or on buses, for schedule or route changes that go into effect on December 13, 2009 or later:
2, 4, 10-48, 14-37, 16-316, 18, 20, 26-51-52-352, 28, 30-31, 33-333, 35-335, 38, 45, 53, 55-355, 62, 66-366, 70, 76, 81, 83, 84-68, 92, 94.102, 127, 128, 150, 152, 156, 161, 165, 166, 176, 180-181, 200, 217, 222, 224, 234, 244, 251, 265, 268, 287, 460, 485, 534, 577, 611, 612, 687-686, 704, 705, 714, 720, 728, 730, 741, 745, 750, 751, 753, 762, 770, 794, 920