Metro Student Field Trip Program
- Approved Locations
- Reserve Field Trip
Metro’s Transit Safety Team is excited to offer the Metro Student Field Trip Program to LA County Schools, grades 1-12. The program provides students, faculty and chaperones access to 20 approved destinations on Metro bus and/or rail service.
- Online curriculum must be completed before requesting a field trip;
- Field trips are limited to groups of 40, including chaperones;
- The student-to-adult ratio is 1 adult per 10 students;
- Students are limited to one field trip per school year;
- Field trips are limited to the 20 approved locations only. Custom trips are not offered;
- No children under five years of age are permitted;
- Trips are only available Monday – Friday, 10am to 2pm;
- Field trip requests must be made three weeks in advance to field trip date and submitted through the online curriculum only;
- Field trips are first come, first served and are limited to a total of five per day; and
- All student and adult participants will be issued appropriate fare media to ride the system.
The Metro Field Trip Program currently can accommodate these locations:
- Walt Disney Concert Hall
- California Science Center
- Natural History Museum
- Museum of Contemporary Art (MOCA)
- Union Station & Olvera Street
- Long Beach Aquarium of the Pacific
- Wells Fargo History Museum
- Audubon Center (Nature Tours / Solar Energy Workshops)
- The Armory
- Japanese American Museum
- Central Library
- Los Angeles County Museum of Art (LACMA)
- Los Angeles City Hall / Court Buildings
- Kidspace Children's Museum
- Balboa Park
- Japanese Gardens
- The Arboretum & Botanical Garden
- The Campo de Cahuenga
- La Brea Tar Pits
- California African American Museum (CAAM)
If you are a teacher interested in requesting a field trip for your class, please choose the corresponding class grade below and review all steps of the curriculum. Once you have reviewed all steps, fill out and submit the Field Trip Request Form. Forms must be submitted three weeks prior to requested field trip date.
- Safety Training
- Rules and Regulations
- How to Ride
- How to Buy Tickets
(Passes will be mailed one week before approved field trips. However, we ask that you review this page so that you and your students are familiar with how to purchase tickets.)
- Grades 1-3
- Visit the Metro Safety Bee site and review the bus, rail and bike safety rules with your students. The Metro Safety Bee site features games and a safety quiz for students grades 1-3.
- Grades 4-5
- Visit the Metro Safety for Kids Interactive site and review the safety rules with your students. The Metro Safety for Kids Interactive site features games, videos and a safety quiz for students grades 4-5.
- Grades 6-12
- Review the Rules and Regulations for Riding the Metro System with your students and take the test.
PLEASE NOTE: the entire Trip Request form must be completed in order for your request to be processed. Once Metro receives your completed form, a representative from Transit Safety Programs will contact you to discuss available field trip dates.
Field Trip Cancellations
For cancelled field trips, you must contact Jackie Martinez at 213.922.4048 as soon as possible. Fare media must be returned within seven business days of your scheduled trip (postmarks accepted). Please mail to:
Transit Safety Programs
One Gateway Plaza, 99-13-1
Los Angeles, CA 90012